Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work meeting, would you attend?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

There is a breakfast meeting for the managers tomorrow at work at 7am. SIL is going to babysit for me tomorrow, and said it's fine If I have to drop him off at 630am, she didn't sound thrilled but she said she would do it.

Well DH is telling me that I shouldn't go. That his sister shouldn't have to babysit for 12+ hours tomorrow (My regular shift is 9-6 but I normally don't leave until 630pm) and since I am stepping down to a new position in a few weeks that I shouldn't even be needed there.....I am going to an HR position, so I can work different hours 8-3pm. So that Dh's mom and sister can continue to babysit around THEIR work schedules and we don't have to put him in daycare or pay a babysitter.

DH works 8-6pm, but it would be stupid for him to take DS to his sister as she lives across town from us (about 1 mile from my work) and he works 3 blocks from our house, so it would be an hour drive for him to get to her house and back to work.

Would you still go to this meeting? or just skip it so SIL doesn't have the baby 12+ hours. I want to go as this will be my last meeting as a manager, but it's not mandatory.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes you should go. Let them know you are still serious about your job. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:35 PM
Yes
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:36 PM

Go to the meeting as it's the last meeting as a manager and it's not like this will be happening again where she will have to babysit for that amount of time.

PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:37 PM

Ask him why his career is more important than yours?  If he had a 7am meeting, he would be there, no?  Yes, you need to go unless you are in the hospital with tubes sticking out of your body.  Do something uber nice for your SIL for doing this really big favor for you:  A favorite bottle of wine,  gift card to her favorite bookstore or coffee house, or a spa basket.  And tell your husband that you are appalled that he cares less about your career than his.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:37 PM
Skipping a meeting that you have made arrangements to attend would be stupid.

Save your call ins for times you can’t find care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:37 PM
If it’s required, yes I would go.
onethentwins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:41 PM

SIL has agreed to do it so I'd go. I'd then make sure that SIL knew how much I appreciated it. If DH is adamant, let him do the driving. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:42 PM
If she is already babysitting for free, I feel like that's a lot to ask. Maybe offer her some money or bring her a thank you gift for the extra hours.

If you're paying her and she's willing to take on the extra time, then just pay her extra for that day.
Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:43 PM

Honestly, at that hour of the day my presence would have to be mandatory.  I hate mornings and I'm not even human by 7 AM.

But that's me.  If your job depends on it then go.

Shaken1976
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:44 PM
I’d move forward as planned and make a run through Starbucks for SIL.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)