Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parent teacher conference.......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies

Why on earth do they want the students there too?cconference's are so stupid and a waste of time. I go in the teacher has my kid show me some of her work in each subject (I see all the work that gets sent home already) gives me the report card on it with a comment or 2 on my kid and that's the end.

Why can't I leave the kids at home? When I go in we can discuss how my child is doing, without them right there showing me things and then the work not actually being discussed?

It's called a PARENT TEACHER conference...Not a PARENT TEACHER STUDENT conference.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:12 PM
Students are welcome, but not expected at ours
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:13 PM
I’ve never seen one where kids are expected to be there, or even welcome. We have open houses for kids to show off what they’ve done.
Mom2Boys9501
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:13 PM
I prefer kids at ours so they can hear what the teacher thinks and improve on it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:14 PM

We have open houses too. But kids are expected to be at the conferences too. It's just stupid.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I’ve never seen one where kids are expected to be there, or even welcome. We have open houses for kids to show off what they’ve done.

anewlynn09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Students are not welcome at ours.  The reason for the conference is to discuss any issues about your child without your child being there.  We have an art/ice cream social to see their main art.  It is a fundraiser for the PTA and is used to buy art supplies for the school/students.  We have other nights where the students can show us their work plus if you go to the school a lot of their art and work is all over the school walls.  :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:18 PM
I don’t like students attending. I prefer to speak to parents alone. I also don’t want to bring my kids. My DD was requested in 4th grade so she could show me a slide show she made. Oh, she hated it. She was so uncomfortable. I felt odd talking with her present, as I wanted to discuss her shyness and peer relationships. I didn’t need DD there for my questions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:20 PM

See this is what I wish our school would do. I see the kids work all the time we go to all the open houses/ice cream socials/winter wonderland things. I would like to discuss some stuff with DD's teacher without DD there, but I guess I have to make a special appointment and not use my conference time for it.

Quoting anewlynn09:

Students are not welcome at ours.  The reason for the conference is to discuss any issues about your child without your child being there.  We have an art/ice cream social to see their main art.  It is a fundraiser for the PTA and is used to buy art supplies for the school/students.  We have other nights where the students can show us their work plus if you go to the school a lot of their art and work is all over the school walls.  :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:20 PM
Never heard of that before. Kids don't go in with us here. This year I took DS but he stayed outside the classroom. They specifically ask us not to bring them to open school night too.
cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:23 PM

How old are your kids? I am a teacher and parent. I have never had a meeting with kids there, mine or my students. Unless parents wanted them there. 

cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:24 PM

So talk to the teacher before and tell her/him you want the meeting without your child present.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

See this is what I wish our school would do. I see the kids work all the time we go to all the open houses/ice cream socials/winter wonderland things. I would like to discuss some stuff with DD's teacher without DD there, but I guess I have to make a special appointment and not use my conference time for it.

Quoting anewlynn09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)