Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it depression?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I've realized this pattern that seems to happen around my menstrual period. I experience highs and lows, mostly lows, and in addition I dont want to move, ever. As in, I'll sit in the same spot for the duration of my menstrual period. I dont want to leave the house, I dont want to play with my kids or talk to anyone. I know this may seem like normal symptoms, but I mean its really bad. I feel low and hopeless like I'm falling down a deep hole. And it only happens when Im menstruating. Other times Im active and outgoing. Is there some kind of condition other than the normal PMS we often hear about. What Im dealing with is so bad that it effects my relationships with people, most importantly with my husband. Is this normal? Before kids I never had this issue. It used to be just my bad attitude and strong food cravings in the past. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Talk to you doctor. I was the same way, but it seems like the feeling was lasting longer and longer. I am so sick of feeling guilty and overwhelmed, of being in my head having thoughts make complete circles. Dumb senseless thoughts. I am so tired of dreading the smallest task and making it seems like a huge hurdle, I examine every little detail and it's exhausting.
Anyway, I told my Dr. She prescribed me Welbutrin. I hope it helps.
My feeling are definitely worse around my period, but like I said it seemed like once I crawled out, I was getting sucked back in.
I hope you feel better soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:44 PM
Also, I also experience highs as well. Almost manic. But I will get stuck on something, like shopping and get out of control, again it's really bad around my period as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:52 PM

Thats exactly how I feel. I feel so guilty and overwhelmed and then I snap at people because I feel guilty. Like tonight I snapped at my husband for mentioning that he folded and put away the laundry. I know what he meant by it, which is innocent, but in my head it was like he was throwing it in my face that I was a lazy slob today. I did apologize and explained why I snapped. It wasnt him, it was how I felt about myself. I have all those thought too and been bouncing around. I will talk to my Dr about this because its becoming unbearable. Thank you for sharing. I hope the medication helps you too. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Talk to you doctor. I was the same way, but it seems like the feeling was lasting longer and longer. I am so sick of feeling guilty and overwhelmed, of being in my head having thoughts make complete circles. Dumb senseless thoughts. I am so tired of dreading the smallest task and making it seems like a huge hurdle, I examine every little detail and it's exhausting. Anyway, I told my Dr. She prescribed me Welbutrin. I hope it helps. My feeling are definitely worse around my period, but like I said it seemed like once I crawled out, I was getting sucked back in. I hope you feel better soon.

anewlynn09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:55 PM

You just have menstral mood swings (your's is down mood).  Ask your Dr.   I had light switch anger or depression that lasted about 10 days right around my period.  At first she gave me lexipro but then my depression overtook me and it lasted all month.  I know many women who take anti-depressants only when they have their period.

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Time for nutritional therapy.

Spare.Time
by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:57 PM

Seek professional help

Tracys2
by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Intense PMS emotional symptoms that interfere with your life is called PMDD, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

You would probably get advice on exercise, diet, etc. that would help and possibly anti-depressants to help with the symptoms, possibly to take only at that time.

It's not at all uncommon. Good for you to recognise the problem and look for help!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:05 PM

Thank you. I will ask my Dr and see if she can help. 

Quoting anewlynn09:

You just have menstral mood swings (your's is down mood).  Ask your Dr.   I had light switch anger or depression that lasted about 10 days right around my period.  At first she gave me lexipro but then my depression overtook me and it lasted all month.  I know many women who take anti-depressants only when they have their period.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:09 PM

I believe I've heard of the name but it never really hit me what it was or meant. Thank you! Ill be talking to my Dr about this. 

Quoting Tracys2:

Intense PMS emotional symptoms that interfere with your life is called PMDD, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

You would probably get advice on exercise, diet, etc. that would help and possibly anti-depressants to help with the symptoms, possibly to take only at that time.

It's not at all uncommon. Good for you to recognise the problem and look for help!

daisy102601
by Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:10 PM
You might have PMDD. Talk to your doctor immediately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)