Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm kind of a Hoarder!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My house is kind of messy cluttered. I don't get how people can have such neat, immaculate homes. Our home is always mildly dirty. I work full time and I'm sick of trying to get everyone else to help!

Our bedroom is a disaster! Anything I don't know where to put gets dumped in there. The side of the bed on one side is like a landfill of papers, and clutter! The dresser is piled high with stuff. There's crap everywhere. It's dusty and I'd be embarrassed to have anyone see my bedroom. I try to clean and organize my bedroom, but I get overwhelmed and give up.

My parents are major hoarders. They were also abusive to me. I've been in therapy, and have gone no contact w them.

I would like to get my house clean and organized. I don't want to wind up like those people on the Hoarders show. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks! 💜
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Buy garbage bags and fill them....seriously! We are a society who focuses on how much stuff we can acquire when we in fact need very little to be happy. Think about time you may have spent in a hotel room with exactly what you need and nothing more and how much less stressful it is and emulate that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Start with one pile and go through it. Just do one pile a day and don’t let anything else pile up where you cleaned.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:36 PM
I will try.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Start with one pile and go through it. Just do one pile a day and don’t let anything else pile up where you cleaned.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I will try!

Quoting Dzyre1115: Buy garbage bags and fill them....seriously! We are a society who focuses on how much stuff we can acquire when we in fact need very little to be happy. Think about time you may have spent in a hotel room with exactly what you need and nothing more and how much less stressful it is and emulate that.
highlandmum
by Spunky on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:38 PM
Start with one room at a time. Take a couple of hours per room. Set out three drop cloths one is donate, one is toss and one is keep. If you have not used the item in 6 months either toss or donate. Estimate It will take a week to two depending on the amount of clutter to purge your house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:39 PM

I room at a time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:39 PM
Every single item needs to have a place where it can be put away.

If you have 20 pairs of jeans, but there’s only room in your jeans drawer for 10 pairs, you’ll never be able to have “clean”.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:39 PM
I wish you luck, I have definitely been there. Now I lean more towards minimalism...

Quoting Anonymous 1: I will try!

Quoting Dzyre1115: Buy garbage bags and fill them....seriously! We are a society who focuses on how much stuff we can acquire when we in fact need very little to be happy. Think about time you may have spent in a hotel room with exactly what you need and nothing more and how much less stressful it is and emulate that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:40 PM
That's the problem!

Quoting Anonymous 4: Every single item needs to have a place where it can be put away.

If you have 20 pairs of jeans, but there’s only room in your jeans drawer for 10 pairs, you’ll never be able to have “clean”.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My advice is to set aside 15 minutes for your bedroom clutter every day or twice a day. Set a timer, do as much as you can in the time you have, then stop, until the next time. Don't allow yourself to add anything else to the clutter, always take care of things immediately. Don't let dishes sit, don't let clean laundry sit. Immediately fold it and put it away. Go throuh your mail every day and throw away junk mail, put bills in one pile and things that need to be dealt with (but not bills) in another. Go through those piles once a week on the same day. Clean as you go if the best advice I can give anyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)