Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you had braces as a teen...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
Was it worth it? I don't mean for major mouth overhaul. Like a few crooked teeth. Did they shift back as an adult?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:04 AM
Dh did. He had bad teeth and no they never moved back. Of course they moved some but not back to where they were. My DD had terribly crooked teeth and hers are beautiful. She is 26.
alli1204
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:05 AM
Definitely worth it! My teeth were pretty bad. They’re still perfectly straight 23 years later. I do have a bottom retainer still on the backside of my teeth. That’s kept them from shifting.
KeepOnTryin
by Melissa on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:06 AM
Yes. I had really bad teeth. I had my braces from the time I was 14 until I was 17. I am 40, they are still straight. There is one on the bottom that is a little crooked but I pretty much didn't wear my retainer at all, so that's my fault.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:13 AM
My teeth just weren't perfectly straight. Really just cosmetic. They shifted back and I feel my parents wasted their money.

Now if something was really bad, like affecting the way the jaw closes or causing harm, then I totally agree to get it fixed asap. But just for slight crookedness, I think that can wait until you stop growing so there us less chance of them shifting back.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:17 AM

Yes they shifted back as an adult.  I put braces on agin when I was 30 years old.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM
Mine didn’t move back though I kept losing my bottom retainer so my bottom still isn’t completely lined up. I’d have to have a tooth removed to allow more space for them.
Pisces_Mom89
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 10:20 AM

I had mine put on at about 9. They were off my freshman year.  They shifted when i had them first taken off because i basically said fuck you  to the retainer. So they put some back on for 6 months followed by a permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth. My top teeth have never shifted. I like my straight teeth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2018 at 10:21 AM
I never did but my cousin did. Her's shifted back, mainly because she didn't wear her retainer after they removed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 20, 2018 at 10:29 AM

I did not have braces as a kid and will probably get invisilne next year when Im 51

Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Even if it was just cosmetic, it affects your bite, and ultimately your tooth health later in life.  I never had braces as a kid - my dad wouldn't pay for them because it WASN'T terrible.  I have had to have all sorts of things fixed as an adult.

All 3 of our daughters needed braces.  A couple times as adults they needed a bit of "alignment" which can be done now with invisalign.  My oldest daughter (27, almost 28) has them on now.   My middle one (24, almost 25), still wears a retainer at the request of her dentist and orthodontist.

You should go back in.  As an adult, you can usually get them shifted back fairly easily.  And the common thinking now is a retainer most of your life at night.

Quoting Anonymous 1: My teeth just weren't perfectly straight. Really just cosmetic. They shifted back and I feel my parents wasted their money. Now if something was really bad, like affecting the way the jaw closes or causing harm, then I totally agree to get it fixed asap. But just for slight crookedness, I think that can wait until you stop growing so there us less chance of them shifting back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)