Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's Talk About This "ME TOO" Thing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies

Do any of you feel like there have been lines crossed with women claiming harrassement? I sound like an apologist, but I do try to look at as many angles as I can in a situation. Men and women both are people, we all live our lives. I am not talking about rape or molestation, or losing your job if you don't do something, Those are very obvious sexual actions that need to be punished right out!  But for me, it seems wrong to say that someone is a pervert, or sexually in the wrong, certain things. Was this person really foreward? Did you go along with it, whether you did your did not, did they actually stop once you said you were uncomfortable in some way?  "IT SEEMED CREEPY AT THE TIME. " . I do totally feel like there is something to be said, and this is a good thing, Yep that aligation alone seems to be being stood up for alone, because a woman said it, as though only men are shit, and women are pure, amist a useful and tangible movement. So was hoping for opinions on others take.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:39 PM
5 moms liked this
I think we're modern women, not shrinking Victorian era violets. If I don't like what someone is saying or doing, I tell them to stop and remove myself from the situation.

Being creepy is creepy, but it's not sexual assault.
I.Am.Jester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its like everything else, there will be people who tell the truth and people who lie.

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Let me let you in on a little secret.

This whole #metoo thing is a multi-level distraction designed to cause reasonable doubt so the assholes who really did the shit can get off Scot-free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:46 PM

It’s all about perspective. I might not find a particular conversation offensive but someone else might. I am comfortable greeting some of my coworkers at off site social functions with a hug and kiss and another coworker might claim harassment.  It can be tough to navigate for people sometimes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:47 PM

The me too movement in my book is bullshit. All it has done is add grey to the real cases out there. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:49 PM
What qualifies as a "#metoo"?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed. Nearly everyone has been catcalled. Heck my 5 year old was called "cute girl" by a boy she didn't like back. That's far different than being raped.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

The me too movement in my book is bullshit. All it has done is add grey to the real cases out there. 

HOT4TCHR
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:53 PM

Here's an example.  I know somebody who works in foodservice.  When she goes down into the basement storage room to get paper goods, one of the other male employees (not always the same one...but always one of four) also goes down to the basement to get paper goods.  They always insist that she go back up the stairs ahead of her, as if it's a gentlemanly thing to do.  But she's confident it's just so they can watch her ass.  

It interferes with her work because she finds herself waiting for them to be otherwise occupied before going to the basement rather than going when she actually needs to.  She tries to sneak down and then gets flustered when one follows her anyway.  She is concerned that if this continues, they will feel that she is playing the same game as they are and will escalate the behavior.  She has attempted to assert herself and insist that they go up before her but they always insist right back that she goes up first.  Going to management seems ridiculous because exactly what is she going to say..."they always make me go up the stairs first"???  It sounds like a complete non-issue.

Is this person allowed to say #metoo?

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:54 PM

It's too much of a grey area. What started off being a great platform for rape surviviors to tell their story has quickly morphed into every second woman having a "story" to "out" someone. Some woman outed James Franco the other day; for having her sign a contract stating that nude scenes were involved (with pay) in the movie she was filming of his. This became a "me too" story that was "her right to share" despite everyone knowing she was full of shit. 

My DD has posted a "me too" story and I don't believe it happened the way she says it did at all. But - that's the "beauty" of the internet. There's no requirement for proof. People can "out" who they want and call it 'freedom of speech' and if you discredit them, you're an asshole. 

HOT4TCHR
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 9:14 PM

Where did everyone go?

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)