Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pharmacist screwed up my medicine. Again. (Update in post and p3)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 5:45 PM
  • 25 Replies

I've been feeling lousy for the last week and am getting concerned. I even filmed one of my symptoms (hand tremors), uploaded it to YouTube and emailed it to my doctor asking if I have Parkinson's.

Well, in taking my anxiety medicine just now I happened to read all the fine print on the bottle. For my last refill (on 1/11/18), my pharmacist HALVED the dose (gave me 30 mg instead of 60mg).  No warning to me, no asking me or my doc to doublecheck. They simply filled the bottle with the dosage I had last year.  This is one of those medications where the package insert says not to suddenly lower your dose because that can cause side effects including seizures (and headaches, brain zaps, dizziness etc).  Dammit!  No wonder I feel so crappy - I'm going through withdrawal!

I called the pharmacy to yell at them. This is the same, local place that screwed up another medication in my family years ago (they put an entirely wrong medicine in the bottle - luckily my kid noticed that the capsules were the wrong color).  The pharmacist says her manager will call me tomorrow to follow up, but I want to make sure that whatever govt agency governs US pharmacists, knows about this mistake. This pharmacy needs more oversight. Who should I complain to?

UPDATE: thanks, everyone, for all the comments.  I didn't like being told that I overreacted, but now that some time has passed I agree.  I'm learning just how bad my anxiety is, which is useful info going forward.

I do think that the pharmacist's error - even if mostly harmless - should be looked into, by the Department of Health which can check the pharmacy's records and make sure there aren't systemic problems (that could cause a much more severe reaction in someone else).  And the individual pharmacy can look at this transaction and see if there have been repeat errors by the same employee (like, filling the bottle but not having the pharmacist doublecheck it, or whatever).   Sassy gave me the link to the correct complaint form, so I'll send that in.

by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Phoenix_lament
by Fawkes on Jan. 21, 2018 at 5:47 PM
Not sure, but here's a bump and a suggestion to find a different pharmacy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 21, 2018 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I guarantee you that every single pharmacy that employs humans has had some sort of mistake. Humans are human and there will be human error.

What is your profession? Have you ever made an error? Oh course this is a pharmacy but still.

On your end whenever you pick up medication you should always check the label and inspect the pills.
notalice420
by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this

They didn't give you a medication that you're allergic to, they cut down your dosage which is uncomfortable but not fatal. Calm down. You need better coping mechanisms for your anxiety if you jumped straight to Parkinson's. 

Human error is a thing. 

MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 5:58 PM
What does the label on the bottle say?
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Jan. 21, 2018 at 5:58 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1: I guarantee you that every single pharmacy that employs humans has had some sort of mistake. Humans are human and there will be human error. What is your profession? Have you ever made an error? Oh course this is a pharmacy but still. On your end whenever you pick up medication you should always check the label and inspect the pills.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:00 PM
What state?
Comprehending
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:04 PM

In my profession, mistakes can lead to malpractice complaints and disciplinary action.  We have a lot of countermeasures, double checks etc to help reduce errors.

Two refill mistakes, in my family alone, in the past few years is a high rate of error for this pharmacy.  I think whoever oversees pharmacies should check on this one.  Maybe their staff needs better training to try to avoid such errors.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I guarantee you that every single pharmacy that employs humans has had some sort of mistake. Humans are human and there will be human error. What is your profession? Have you ever made an error? Oh course this is a pharmacy but still. On your end whenever you pick up medication you should always check the label and inspect the pills.

LovingThisLifex
by Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:07 PM
If you're so untrusting of this pharmacy why do you go there? Why don't you check your meds?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:16 PM
If it was set up on automatic refill, the pharmacist is only doing their job. It's YOUR job to contact YOUR doctor to update YOUR prescription. You aren't their only customer.
Comprehending
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:16 PM

The first mistake seemed like a one-off.  Obviously with this second one I'll switch pharmacies.  (Kinda like if you get food poisoning at a restaurant: once is a mistake, twice means go elsewhere.)

i checked the label for the name of the medicine, but didn't think to check the dosage. I pick up this same medicine every month.

Arguably I'm overreacting, I see that.  Hey, I do have anxiety (currently undertreated  - I.e. for the last 10 days I've been underdosed).  It's a real thing.

Quoting LovingThisLifex: If you're so untrusting of this pharmacy why do you go there? Why don't you check your meds?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)