Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No, she doesn't get my bar (long)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
When I met my husband I had JUST bought my own bar. We weren't open yet because it needed some updating and renovating. This place was my dream. I have been working for this my entire life. Dh and I got very close and very serious very quickly. We spent a lot of time together getting the place ready to go and then opening up. He did a LOT of work for me and he was wonderful tbrough the while thing. We ended up getting married at the bar our first Friday open. Lol.

Over the last several years, the bar has sort of become the family business. Both dh and I were abke to quit our day jobs and focus in the bar 100%. We have had some decent success.

I have a daughter from a previous relationship. She will be 21 in March and plans to step on as head bartender. She has been trained her entire life and raised IN the bar. The place is named after her and I and eventually the place will be hers. This has been thr plan since I bought the place.

Dh had an exwife and a daughter of his own that is 18 years old now. He only had sporadic visitations with her when she was younger but has been more im her life the last couple of years because she and her mom moved back to town.

Her Mom has started to create some issues. Apparently she believes there needs ti be some sort of stipulation in place that if something ever happens to dh, SD should be able to inherit "his half" of the bar. The thing is, he doesnt HAVE hald of the bar. It is wholly in my name and it will remain mine if something happens to him and when I am ready to retire it will belong to my daughter. We set thr business up that way on purpose. His ex is threatening to get a lawyer and FORCE the issue. Its becoming ridiculous and its starting to create a rift between dh and his daughter.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM
Was he working a full-time job when he was helping you with the bar? Was he paying child support? Were you paying him for his help? Was he paying child support based on making that money? If he wasn't paying child support was a pig much child support because he was working for you for free to open your bar that his daughter should get something out of the bar. But if he was paying the normal and fair amount of Child Support I don't see an issue with it
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Let her get a lawyer. Lord, money makes some so damn greedy! It’s in YOUR name. She can piss off!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:13 PM
He has always paid child support based on what he made prior to quitting his 9-5. We take a fair salary each from the profits made but it is a bit less than he was making prior.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Was he working a full-time job when he was helping you with the bar? Was he paying child support? Were you paying him for his help? Was he paying child support based on making that money? If he wasn't paying child support was a pig much child support because he was working for you for free to open your bar that his daughter should get something out of the bar. But if he was paying the normal and fair amount of Child Support I don't see an issue with it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous 2: Was he working a full-time job when he was helping you with the bar? Was he paying child support? Were you paying him for his help? Was he paying child support based on making that money? If he wasn't paying child support was a pig much child support because he was working for you for free to open your bar that his daughter should get something out of the bar. But if he was paying the normal and fair amount of Child Support I don't see an issue with it

Legally unless she is in a community property state..she purchased and opened the business prior to the marriage. He has no legal claim to it.

Him paying or not paying child support has nothing to do withthe legalities of the ownership of HER business.

TB78
by Tasha on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:14 PM
Hopefully you have it all legally written up that you are the sole owner of this bar and had purchased it from a previous owner using only your own money or if you had to borrow from a bank for a loan to help pay for the bar without your dh at all, then you should have no problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
yes it was bought prior to our marriage and the loan is in my name (and shrinking rapidly! lol).

Quoting TB78: Hopefully you have it all legally written up that you are the sole owner of this bar and had purchased it from a previous owner using only your own money or if you had to borrow from a bank for a loan to help pay for the bar without your dh at all, then you should have no problems.
iwilliams76
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This

Quoting blsdbyangel07: Let her get a lawyer. Lord, money makes some so damn greedy! It’s in YOUR name. She can piss off!

MonarchMom22
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this

DH should be creating a legacy to leave to his own daughter.  If you own this business then he should create something separate for her. That might be an investment fund, real estate, retirement acoounts, etc. He is working and contributing and should be able to think about his daughter's future just as you think of your daughter's future. In the meantime, life insurance that would make her a beneificiary is a reasonable plan.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:17 PM

I see your point 100% about his daughter but why not leave the bar to your husband?  You think he doesn't deserve it, or will run it into the ground, or..?

shell3m
by Shell on Jan. 21, 2018 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd tell her to fuck off and her greedy ass self won't get a dime from it. She may say it's for SD but I bet a million she'd be draining that girl for all she's worth.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)