Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you force her to go to preschool?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies
My dd just turned 5. We put her in preschool in September. She seemed to like it just fine at first.

Once every 2 months she is the star of the day and I have to bring in a snack for the class. On that day, the parent is able to volunteer for the day to help out around the classroom. I've done this 3 times.

What I've observed is that my dd isn't really into playing with peers. She is the youngest of 7. She plays with her older siblings, so, her play style is a bit more mature than most 4/5 yr olds. She isn't into the typical 4 yr old stuff. Her play scenarios she prefers are pretty close to an 7/8 yr olds typical play style. She hates all princess crap, baby dolls, paw patrol, shimmer and shine, etc. She's more into older kid stuff like gutatoma, pusheen, LOL, lps, etc. She prefers mainstream pop and dance to Disney music, etc. I've observed her trying really hard to play with her friends. It's not like she doesn't try. But, she always ends up abandoning them to play alone (which she is extremely content with).

Lately, she has been incredibly difficult to take to preschool. She says that all of her friends play like 4 yr olds and she's 5 and she doesn't like their games. She hates the songs they sing too. And I sort of see her point.

Preschool is not required here. In fact, we pay for the program! And it's far away so it eats my whole morning. Today, I didn't force her to go. I'm considering pulling her... Wwyd?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linz808
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:31 PM
I think if you're home you should keep her home. Maybe find a different preschool? Or maybe she could go just half the week to get in some social time.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Preschool is more than simply socialization. If they have a curriculum where she is actively learning to prep for kindergarten then I would continue the program. If it’s more daycare then I would look for a program closer to home.
LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:33 PM
Sounds like she wouldn't miss much if she skipped it. Not a big deal imo.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:33 PM
I’d keep her in it. She’ll be going to K next year anyway, right?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM
It's more of a daycare. They do circle time and then free play, snack then home. They don't really have sorting activities, sensory exploration opportunities, or any sort of play based curriculum. I was pretty underwhelmed with each of my days spent there. In fact, I teach her more at home than anything she's getting from there.

Quoting Isaacsmom913: Preschool is more than simply socialization. If they have a curriculum where she is actively learning to prep for kindergarten then I would continue the program. If it’s more daycare then I would look for a program closer to home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:35 PM
She has to learn sooner or later. I'd keep her in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:35 PM
I was thinking of doing this. See if she misses it first before pulling her! Maybe absence will make her little heart grow fonder!

Quoting Linz808: I think if you're home you should keep her home. Maybe find a different preschool? Or maybe she could go just half the week to get in some social time.
ilovemykids323
by on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:35 PM

i'd keep sending her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM
Yes, she will. She is ready for k though. She hit all of the milestones a while back. I think she will enjoy it more when there's an actual curriculum. Right now, it's pretty much like a daycare.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I’d keep her in it. She’ll be going to K next year anyway, right?
ilovemykids323
by on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:37 PM

okay i change my mind i'd pull her and find a different prek.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It's more of a daycare. They do circle time and then free play, snack then home. They don't really have sorting activities, sensory exploration opportunities, or any sort of play based curriculum. I was pretty underwhelmed with each of my days spent there. In fact, I teach her more at home than anything she's getting from there.
Quoting Isaacsmom913: Preschool is more than simply socialization. If they have a curriculum where she is actively learning to prep for kindergarten then I would continue the program. If it’s more daycare then I would look for a program closer to home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)