Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont know if i can do that or not

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 104 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 11 month old will be getting tubes put in his ears next week. The receptionist called today and scheduled the appointment and told me that he cant eat or drink anything from midnight until after the surgery. He has atleast 1 bottle in the middle of the night to get him back to sleep with. I dont know if i can go without giving it to him. He will cry and scream until he gets it and if not than ill have to hold him and rock him all night. I know you're probably thinking its 1 night you will get over it but he has had 1-2 ear infections a month since september and ive had to hold him a lot of nights and rock him and its killing my back. After 5 kids and 5 epidurals, doing that every night doesnt feel good. Maybe ill get lucky and he will fall back asleep without a bottle. Or maybe i can just let him suck on the nipple of a bottle to trick him and he will fall back asleep quick. Wish me luck!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:26 PM
4 moms liked this
Um, you do it. Will it suck? Maybe, but you're a mother. He absolutely cannot eat before anesthesia.
notalice420
by on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:26 PM

He needs the tubes so even if it's a totally sleepless night, don't give in. Ask if he can have water in a bottle, usually water is okay (but not always). 

If you go in and he's had a bottle, they won't do the surgery. 

EmilyH87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:28 PM
You're going to have to not give it to him if you want procedure done. Simple as that.
squeekers
by squeekers on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:29 PM
I had tubes in my ears twice. 7 years old and again at 8 years old because my ear pressure was so strong it pushed the eustation tubes out.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:30 PM
NPO really sucks, but it's done for a reason! Good luck, momma...hopefully he'll feel much better after the tubes.
KeepOnTryin
by Melissa on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to look at the big picture here. You can go through one bad night now or you can go througn a million more because of his ear infections.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Sleepless night or my child possibly aspirating and dying during what should be a routine procedure? I'd choose a sleepless night every time.

Hopefully, it'll be an easy night for you. Good luck to you and him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:31 PM
Keep him up as late as possible and feed him right before bed. If he wakes up you'll just have to soothe him another way. You got this.
LaughinTattoo7
by Frenchy on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:32 PM

Do you think you could get some friends and family to come stay to help, so you can get some rest and not hurt your back? I understand its nessesary but it will suck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:33 PM
What time is his appt?

I may push bedtime back, or wake him up at 11:30 to eat. It'll be a sleepless night but just think, this may be the last one, due to infections at least.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)