Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

His teacher called me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
2 moms liked this
Ds's teacher called me tonight around 6pm because today ds tested at a reading level 10. He should be at a 12 working towards 14. Previously he tested so low she didn't even want to right it down. He's inked 4-5 reading levels in just a couple of months. I can't wait to congratulate him tomorrow.

Backstory: we all highly suspect he has ADHD. I'm fighting tooth and nail to get him evaluated. He usually can't focus well enough to even finish testing. We are all so proud at his massive progress. He's been really tired. Whatever he's doing right now is taking all his energy. He was in bed before 6pm.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2018 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cdb7519
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2018 at 11:56 PM
Awe, how great! You should take him to the bookstore to celebrate. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 12:02 AM

That is great that he is making progress.

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Jan. 23, 2018 at 12:05 AM
Awesome! Hope he keeps up the good work!
MariannLws
by Mariann on Jan. 23, 2018 at 12:06 AM
Wonderful news. Congratulations to him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
He's really into Pokémon lately. I think I'll try to find him a book and some cards for all his hard work.

Quoting cdb7519: Awe, how great! You should take him to the bookstore to celebrate. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 9:20 AM
It is. I hate how hard this is for him. He can do a lot of it if he can manage to focus. Most days study time ends in tears and frustration though. He's been exhausted lately too. I can tell when he tries extra hard because he comes home really tired.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

That is great that he is making progress.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 9:21 AM
I do too but it's really hard on him. He's been extra tired lately too. He did get in trouble yesterday but in 2 weeks he's only had his folder signed twice. That's a huge step from having tbsigned daily.

Quoting KendallsMommee: Awesome! Hope he keeps up the good work!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 9:24 AM
She didn’t want to write it down? She did though, right?? If not, No offense, but your school ISN’T helping! They need to step in, evaluate and get him help.
AdHd is MORE than hard work. It will effect his whole education which is foundational. Effect his self esteem.

Please, search the internet for
W
Additude magazine, letter, request for evaluation.
Copy paste fill in the blanks mail off and get the ball rolling.

Imthrilled he is doing better, and please, get him started on evaluations.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 9:30 AM
The pediatrician can initiate testing for ADHD by using the Vanderbilt scales or another assessment tool and have his teachers and family complete it. The pediatrician can then, based on feedback, conclude if your son meets criteria for an add or ADHD diagnosis. When that is placed on writting, the school will take the next step towards initiating their own testing through the school psychologist and then team meeting will be scheduled to review all testing and if he meets criteria for special education accommodations and supports.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 9:33 AM
I'm trying. I have a meeting with several people from the school and I'm trying to get him seen by a private psychiatrist for testing. He's only 7 though so they'll just now start considering this as a possibility. I have 3 teachers and a therapist ready to submit their thoughts and findings.
He does go to tutoring, small groups, and gets extra help as far as the teacher can do at this point. We are working on the rest still.
And she didn't want to write it because it was such a big deal she wants to make a personal phone call instead. She felt a few words on paper wouldn't do it justice. This is a huge deal for him. His behavior has also been a whole lot better but none of us can pinpoint what's working so well right now. We don't know how long this will last.

Quoting Anonymous 3: She didn’t want to write it down? She did though, right?? If not, No offense, but your school ISN’T helping! They need to step in, evaluate and get him help.
AdHd is MORE than hard work. It will effect his whole education which is foundational. Effect his self esteem.

Please, search the internet for
W
Additude magazine, letter, request for evaluation.
Copy paste fill in the blanks mail off and get the ball rolling.

Imthrilled he is doing better, and please, get him started on evaluations.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)