Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Failing Classes in 7th Grade

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies

So I just found out my 12 yr old son is failing Math and Reading. I am a little annoyed that neither of these teachers ever contacted me to let me know that he was having trouble. The school doesn't even send home report cards or progress reports anymore, it is now up to the parent to check grades online at the appropriate times. And I am a busy working mom so I tend to forget (yes I know, BAD MOM)

So last night he brings me a paper that says he needs to go to 4 Saturday School Days(8am-12pm) or I will have to pay $250 for Summer School. FFS so I am now pissed at my kid, he's about to get his phone and tablet and PS4 taken away.

I have emailed both teachers today but have not heard back anything yet. I honestly do not know what else to do other than restrict my son from electronics and any extracurriculars (Band and Boy Scouts is all he currently participates in)

He is ADHD but has never had a formal diagnosis or been on medication. I am pretty anti-medication honestly but maybe he DOES need it? I am not for sure.....

I am just not sure what else to do at this point. Any advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You can literally check his grades at any time online. It's not the teachers' responsibility. Wow.

Step 1 is to accept that responsibility and do better going forward with knowing how he is doing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:24 PM

Oh FFS I asked for advice, not admonishments. If thats all you have to say then STFU.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You can literally check his grades at any time online. It's not the teachers' responsibility. Wow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:25 PM
I edited to add my advice. You need to get this part down first and foremost.

Your attitude about that is appalling.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Oh FFS I asked for advice, not admonishments. If thats all you have to say then STFU.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You can literally check his grades at any time online. It's not the teachers' responsibility. Wow.

violetstar20
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM

I'm sorry you're going through this. My ds is also having issues with his classes and I recently got a letter from the pediatrician's office saying he meets the criteria for ADD/ADHD. So, I'm trying to figure out what the next steps are.

AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM
You ask them to send home any graded Work so you can reteach anything he missed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM

Your advice is not even helpful. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I edited to add my advice. You need to get this part down first and foremost. Your attitude about that is appalling.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:27 PM
Well it won't be of you don't do it.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Your advice is not even helpful. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I edited to add my advice. You need to get this part down first and foremost.

Your attitude about that is appalling.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM
If you and he have access to his grades online there is no reason this should be a surprise. Our district allows you to have your kids grades emailed every week, and to get an alert for a grade below a certain level.

I would suggest setting a conference with the teachers with you and your son to see how to improve moving forward
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM
Take away all electronics indefinitely.
You should send him to the Saturday classes. I dont know how your states doe works but here a lot ((not all) students have to apply to high schools in the 8th grade. They use the 7th grade attendance and grades when determining the high school
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM

I can check my kids grades 24hours a day. I work full time and have a busy schedule too....

When DD had a 65 in Social Studies, Due to failing a test and not turning in homework I knew right away. I got on her to fix it, she now has an 89%

Found out DS wasn't turning in his reading HW. Got on him about it. It is now done every week.

It's YOUR responsibility to check his grades and work with him to get them up a teacher can't call every parent each time a assignment is missing. They KNOW you are able to acess his grades, so why do they need to tell you when you are already able to see it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)