Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He seriously called the police because I was vacuuming!!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies

Okay, we ALL have experienced over the top people in our lives. We live in a 2 family split home. I have 2 children, 12 and 5. We live on the 1st floor. I have lived here for 7 years. We have a new neighbor who moved in upstairs. He was nice at first. Single man, in his mid 50's former military and retired police officer from another city.

I have the backyard and driveway as part of my rental agreement . He gets street parking and use of the alley for his trash bins. My dinning room is carpeted, I rent so it's not like I can change that on my own, so i vacuum after dinner everyday between 5pm-630pm depending on the day for no longer than 10 mins. I don't like crumbs on the floor so I clean up. I have a plastic carpet protector under the table that i just WetJet and I vacuum under the chairs .

I never had him complain to me ever.. I had a knock on my door at 6pm and it was 2 officers telling me they had a noise complaint. I was confused and they explained that the man upstairs complained about the vacuuming of all hours of the night and taking his parking spot in the driveway LOL I explained I literally vacuum for 10 mins after dinner never past 630pm. ever and how the driveway is mine as per my rental agreement and showed them.They went upstairs to get his statement and explain they won't be pressing charges or giving a warning due to the fact I am not disturbing the peace. He went OFF cursing and screaming that he's a retired cop and he wants the officers sergeant's name and badge number to report them. He doesn't work, he isn't out over nights so I can't figure out how I pissed him off let alone could hear my vacuum from the other side of my house. I don't have parties, my kids play in the backyard and I or my husband is always out there with them esp. since my 5 y/o has medical issues.

The landlord was called to come over due to the fact police were called on his property. My landlord is pissed at the new guy and is in a rock and hard place because he legally can't evict him, he pays his rent early and never really has done anything wrong, but knows this guy is going to be an issue. I am keeping to myself. I never in my life had an issue with neighbors before....Any advice on how to handle it? I can't nor do I want to move so that is out of the question.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Why can't he evict him? As a landlord if there is a tenant that is causing unnecessary complaints and circumstances and it's my property, I sure as heck can give them an eviction notice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: Why can't he a victim? As a landlord if there is a tenant that is causing unnecessary complaints and circumstances and it's my property, I sure as heck can give them an eviction notice.

Because this is the 1st and only time he's done this. My LL said sadly, we have to wait for it to turn into harassment or intimidation.

AjsMom0508
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Start vacuuming your ceiling, under his living room. I would be annoying just to be annoying but I'm an asshole like that πŸ˜‚

Maybe he has PTSD? Not that it excuses his behavior but maybe he was having an off day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Record any interactions with him. Report him on anything you can, he sounds outright unstable. Maybe ask ALL if he will let the crazy dick out of his lease without penalty if the guy wants to move.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:22 PM
It sounds like you are going to have to put up with it until he leaves or gets evicted.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:23 PM

LOL OMGOSH.!! My husband is an US Army Iraq veteran, he has PTSD and said the same. I am not willing to ask of his medical issues. My husband joked and said he's probably a marine because he's such an asshole. all joking aside my LL and husband are supposed to meet with him friday when things calm down to reach out.

Quoting AjsMom0508: Start vacuuming your ceiling, under his living room. I would be annoying just to be annoying but I'm an asshole like that πŸ˜‚ Maybe he has PTSD? Not that it excuses his behavior but maybe he was having an off day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Let him be an issue, hopefully he'll move out on his own accord.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd play very nice with this guy. When you bake cookies nake extra to leave by his door. Smile and be chatty when you see him. Apologize as if you have something to apologize for. He sounds like a loose cannon nutcase and you know he's armed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I will play respect and avoid with this one LOL. Say hello and keep it moving.

Quoting Anonymous 6: I'd play very nice with this guy. When you bake cookies nake extra to leave by his door. Smile and be chatty when you see him. Apologize as if you have something to apologize for. He sounds like a loose cannon nutcase and you know he's armed.

AjsMom0508
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM
PTSD is a real possibility given that everything was fine and then all of a sudden it wasn't.

Hopefully some good will come from them meeting!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

LOL OMGOSH.!! My husband is an US Army Iraq veteran, he has PTSD and said the same. I am not willing to ask of his medical issues. My husband joked and said he's probably a marine because he's such an asshole. all joking aside my LL and husband are supposed to meet with him friday when things calm down to reach out.

Quoting AjsMom0508: Start vacuuming your ceiling, under his living room. I would be annoying just to be annoying but I'm an asshole like that πŸ˜‚

Maybe he has PTSD? Not that it excuses his behavior but maybe he was having an off day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)