Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting my daughter back? *Update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 246 Replies
I had my youngest June of 2016. I took care of her all by myself until she was about 11 months old. I guess my grandma decided I wasn't doing a good enough job, so she took her for a visit and never brought her back.

I have sole custody, her "father" has no visitation, so it's just mee

She has been at my grandma's for about a year. If I show up to take her and not bring her back, can I get in trouble for kidnapping even tho I have custody? I live in IN if that helps at all.

The backstory to all this is I moved in and apartment and it was too small and riddled with bugs and mice. I have since moved out, hit had to wait for my lease to be up. I live in a motel and I'm getting a big 3 bedroom as soon as I get my taxes back. I just need to know if she can legally fight me in court, despite the custody I was awarded at my divorce hearing.

*** I'm not playing victim. I just wanted to know what kind of battle I'm up against if she does take me to court. I have a job, a car, a fiancee that is wonderful to her. Just need the details of what to expect if she takes me to court over her.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2018 at 3:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 3:44 AM
21 moms liked this

Why don't you leave her with a stable parent figure?  you were living in a vermin infested home, but say your grandmother "decided you weren't doing well enough, so she took her," and you live in a motel now. Do you think that just having a bigger place makes you a good parent? it takes maturity, a stable income, good child care, the ability to provide food, a clean, warm dry home, clothes, medical care. It takes a parent who isn't drinking or using and/or bringing guys around the child, ever. I imagine your grandmother is providing all these things, plus stability for the child. Can you? How many other kids do you have, and who is raising them?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2018 at 3:46 AM
2 moms liked this
Is CPS involved at all? If not, then you should be able to. Poor kid.
flaquitabss
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 3:47 AM
This. To the t.

Quoting susannah2000:

Why don't you leave her with a stable parent figure?  you were living in a vermin infested home, but say your grandmother "decided you weren't doing well enough, so she took her," and you live in a motel now. Do you think that just having a bigger place makes you a good parent? it takes maturity, a stable income, good child care, the ability to provide food, a clean, warm dry home, clothes, medical care. It takes a parent who isn't drinking or using and/or bringing guys around the child, ever. I imagine your grandmother is providing all these things, plus stability for the child. Can you? How many other kids do you have, and who is raising them?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 7, 2018 at 3:55 AM
8 moms liked this
No you cannot get in trouble. She's your child. You have custody. When you go, make sure to take her birth certificate, the custody paperwork and your ID. If your grandma calls the cops DO NOT say she's been there a yr. Just say you are taking her, you have custody and that will be that. But I think you should wait till you have your life together and a safe, stable environment with a child care plan. After you take her back, don't let your grandmother have her, take her anywhere or be alone with her son she doesn't take her again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2018 at 4:02 AM
Go get your kid if you are serious about parenting, if not, leave her be.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 7, 2018 at 4:03 AM
13 moms liked this
I would've shown up with the police the second she refused to return my child. Sure, CPS may have gotten involved, but at least you'd have legal channels to pursue. She kidnapped your kid. Go and get her.
readyforhim
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 4:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Why did you move into such a disgusting place?

What have you done to try to get her back all this time?
Mrsfitz0305
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 4:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Have you seen your daughter all this time?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 7, 2018 at 4:22 AM
No you won't get in trouble. She can file for custody once she realizes you plan to keep her or any time up until then. Until she files and is granted rights, you have every right to take her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2018 at 4:39 AM
No, they're not.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Is CPS involved at all? If not, then you should be able to. Poor kid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)