Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No we aren't taking your dogs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My mom and dad have decided to downsize are moving into a retirement village in March. Good for them. But the issue is they can't take their 4 large,elderly Rotties with them. Today my dad came over and asked when we were fencing in our yard. I told him we never have any intention of fencing in the yard. He then asked me how were the dogs going to get exercise? What dogs? That's when he told me he assumed that we would be taking the dogs. I told him absolutely not. That he would either have to find them forever homes,surrender to a rescue or have them put to sleep. He just looked at me and said really? I said really. You know my dh has a severe allergy to pet dander. Why would I deliberately make my husband sick and miserable in the home he helps provide. Dad agreed with me and left. A couple of hours later mom called bitching about how cruel I was to Dad to make him do this and I should be ashamed to put my husband over my father. I'm completely gone smacked
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2018 at 6:01 PM
Replies (151-157):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM

I would take my dad's dogs...I love those big old labs. I call them both barking marshmellows.

But I get it if you can't, I would try to help find them homes if I could.

Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:27 PM
Thier dogs, their responsibility. They should have thought this through. Not assumed someone else would take on the responsibility. How many years do the dogs have left?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 6:12 PM
My parents are he best. If someone in my house had a dog allergy they would never ask us to watch a dog. Because they are the best we would do anything for them.

I didn’t read that your husband had a deadly allergy to dogs.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No it doesn't. It would be completely unreasonable, cruel, and even deadly to my husband. So no my relationship with my parents have no bearing on this decision and I hope to God ot wouldn't if it meant being with your husband

Quoting Anonymous 16: I would do anything for my mom and dad because the are the best people ever.

I think it does.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No it does not depend on the relationship

Quoting Anonymous 16: I guess it depends on the relationship. When my mom was fighting cancer I promised I’d take care of her dog. No matter what.

She passed and I take care of her dog now. He’s elderly and has many health problems and quirks. I have to take him to a groomer every 2 weeks because I have an allergy and can’t bathe him.

My mom wouldn’t just assume though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2018 at 6:42 PM
It was posted right in the OP. That my husband had a serious allergy to pet dander

Quoting Anonymous 16: My parents are he best. If someone in my house had a dog allergy they would never ask us to watch a dog. Because they are the best we would do anything for them.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No it doesn't. It would be completely unreasonable, cruel, and even deadly to my husband. So no my relationship with my parents have no bearing on this decision and I hope to God ot wouldn't if it meant being with your husband

Quoting Anonymous 16: I would do anything for my mom and dad because the are the best people ever.

I think it does.

Quoting Anonymous 16: I guess it depends on the relationship. When my mom was fighting cancer I promised I’d take care of her dog. No matter what.

She passed and I take care of her dog now. He’s elderly and has many health problems and quirks. I have to take him to a groomer every 2 weeks because I have an allergy and can’t bathe him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 7:37 PM
I see that now. I skimmed the first time. My parents would never ask me to do something I couldn’t safely do.

Good luck with that.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It was posted right in the OP. That my husband had a serious allergy to pet dander

Quoting Anonymous 16: My parents are he best. If someone in my house had a dog allergy they would never ask us to watch a dog. Because they are the best we would do anything for them.

I think it does.

StarLight23
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 4:29 PM

I wouldn't take them either. I have bad allergies, so I wouldn't do that.

haydsmom2007
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM
I wouldn’t take them either
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)