Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picky eater help

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Hey ladies, I’m at a loss here and need your help. My son will be 7 later this month and has never been a good eater for me. He’ll happily eat his body weight in junk or snack foods, but gives me a really hard time with actual food. MIL feeds him junk and he’ll eat anything for my mom. I’m at my wits end, because he fights me literally every night and complains about dinner. I’m not cooking a separate meal for him either, so those suggestions will be ignored. WWYD?

Slight edit- the junk comes from occasional school lunch or when we go out or order pizza. I don’t do things like chicken fingers here.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't fight with him.  If he doesn't eat - he's hungry.  And LET him be hungry.  But don't engage in the battle over food.  It can't be a fight if you don't engage.

And when he is hungry later - tell him too bad, he should have eaten dinner.  Then STOP talking, and don't engage anymore.

Joelskatysmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:56 PM

Yeah, getting rid of all the "crappy" stuff will help, though its very difficult. I've always had a love/hate relationship with junk food. And my oldest is like your son, he loves junk food and just about any type of fried potatoes: any type of french fry, tater tots, hash browns, home-made fried potatoes, etc. But then on the other hand, he loves to make and eat salad with either Ranch dressing or Olive Garden dressing. I have tried to go through purges of getting rid of junk food, hiding it, or just not buying it. But it won't be long before I'm craving it or whatever. I'm frustrated with myself!

Left.Right.Left
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Stop buying junk food.

If my kids won't eat what I cook then I allow them fruit and raw vegetables of their choice, yogurt, toast etc.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:56 PM

Buy a vial of supertaster test strips and find out if he is on the supertaster spectrum for starters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:57 PM
Honestly that was my first instinct. I’m fine with dipping sauce, but like… what do you add to dip with chili or chicken parmesan casserole?

Quoting wakymom:

Been there, done that with ds2 when he was 4.

Always have at least one item you know he likes included in the meal.

Allow him to dip things in whatever he wants. Ds1 and ds2 both use Worchestershire sauce on broccoli and green beans. Ds2 uses ketchup on fish and ham, steak sauce on steak, pancake syrup on bacon, and bbq sauce on all other meat.

Don't be afraid to send him to bed hungry if he refuses to eat anything at dinner.

It won't be easy, and you'll need a lot of patience, but most kids eventually realize they won't win this one and start eating better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:59 PM
Abd when my son was 7 he made things that dont require the stove.

My son wasn't born 14.

I still don't understand why you're fighting with him?

Quoting Anonymous 1: That’s reasonable for a 14 year old. DS is not really ready to use the stove by himself.

Quoting Anonymous 4: My 14yo son is a picky eater. If he doesn't want dinner then he can fix something else or not eat.

Why are you fighting with him?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope no sensory issues, just ADHD. Thanks!

Quoting 2babymomma: If he doesn't have any sensory issues or anything like that then I would just offer him what you cook and he can eat or not. After being hungry he'll eat what's offered. Limit his access to junk food or people that give it to him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:01 PM
Thanks.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Don't fight with him.  If he doesn't eat - he's hungry.  And LET him be hungry.  But don't engage in the battle over food.  It can't be a fight if you don't engage.

And when he is hungry later - tell him too bad, he should have eaten dinner.  Then STOP talking, and don't engage anymore.

Olioxenfree
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:02 PM

Make healthy meals and tell him it's that or nothing. He will eat when he gets hungry. Stop sending him to your MIL's if she can't respect your rules. Don't argue with him, don't punish, don't bribe. Just put down the plate and tell him that's dinner, he can eat it or eat nothing until the next meal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:03 PM
Oh I know. My pantry isn’t totally filled with junk (most of it is baking stuff), but sometimes I want a cookie dammit!

Quoting Joelskatysmom:

Yeah, getting rid of all the "crappy" stuff will help, though its very difficult. I've always had a love/hate relationship with junk food. And my oldest is like your son, he loves junk food and just about any type of fried potatoes: any type of french fry, tater tots, hash browns, home-made fried potatoes, etc. But then on the other hand, he loves to make and eat salad with either Ranch dressing or Olive Garden dressing. I have tried to go through purges of getting rid of junk food, hiding it, or just not buying it. But it won't be long before I'm craving it or whatever. I'm frustrated with myself!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)