Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name something weird that people from your state do.

I'm from Wisconsin and we look for the squeekest cheese curds.

And.... Go! 😁
by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:36 PM
Replies (121-130):
wakymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:11 PM

confused

South Bend is in the northern part of Indiana, and North Vernon is in the southern part of the state.

Our pork tenderloin sandwiches are ginormous!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:36 PM
Maybe that’s it. I’m from the northeast part, near Delaware so we have the really boring area. Lol

Quoting franciaanya:

Yeah. I can tell if a person is from MD by the way they pronounce to or you. There's other words, too. That could be a Baltimore thing, though. Other people that I know from Maryland also have a distinct way of pronouncing their words but it's not the same as people from Baltimore. It could be a regional thing, though. Maybe ethnicity, too? One of my old soldiers was from Maryland but I don't think he was from a city. He didn't have an accent.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Really I feel like we have the least bit of an accent which probably does sound weird compared to surrounding areas. My dads family is from Virginia and they just sound, well, Virginian lol

Quoting franciaanya: Maryland accents are hilarious.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I’m from Maryland and we have nothing interesting! Not even a fun accent. Lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Texas

Quoting mojogirl:

we don't put beans in our chili

we will stand in line for hours for good bbq

we can make anything into a taco

we can fry anything and make it delicious

and a "short drive" is anything less than 8 hours

what state am i in?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Quoting Anonymous 5: When we first moved to the US buying milk in a carton or plastic jug was the weirdest thing! I'm in NY. I'll wait for others to tell me what weird things we do because it's all normal to me.
Quoting MistyMoo: I'm from Ontario and we buy our milk in bags lol

You eat garbage plates!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:47 PM
I’m in Southern California (South Bay-I’ll talk about the area of my state, but not the whole thing because it’s flippin huge)

we put avocado on everything,

we don’t use plastic bags at the grocery store,

most high schools have a surf team,

we bust out the boots as soon as it’s below 70 degrees,

The schools are 80% Asian.

A normal modest house in a good school zone is $800,000-$1 mil

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:49 PM
I’ve met tourists from Maryland that pronounce Maryland like this : murra-lin

Quoting Anonymous 2: Maybe that’s it. I’m from the northeast part, near Delaware so we have the really boring area. Lol

Quoting franciaanya:

Yeah. I can tell if a person is from MD by the way they pronounce to or you. There's other words, too. That could be a Baltimore thing, though. Other people that I know from Maryland also have a distinct way of pronouncing their words but it's not the same as people from Baltimore. It could be a regional thing, though. Maybe ethnicity, too? One of my old soldiers was from Maryland but I don't think he was from a city. He didn't have an accent.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Really I feel like we have the least bit of an accent which probably does sound weird compared to surrounding areas. My dads family is from Virginia and they just sound, well, Virginian lol

Quoting Anonymous 2: I’m from Maryland and we have nothing interesting! Not even a fun accent. Lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:02 PM
They have the most fast food places. I have ever seen. Like why do you need that many places to eat? Do you all not cook your own food? Don't even get me started on Walmart and Target. Why do you need four Walmarts in a 10 mile radius? Same way with Target. Then there's the horrid beltway. Then there's the random shopping plazas and malls.

Quoting franciaanya:

franciaanya
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM

YES! I didn't know how to word it out but this exactly. When I got to my very first unit back in 2002, I had a staff sergeant that was from Maryland and that's how he said it. My friend that l mentioned in another post also says it like that. 

Quoting Anonymous 31: I’ve met tourists from Maryland that pronounce Maryland like this : murra-lin
Quoting Anonymous 2: Maybe that’s it. I’m from the northeast part, near Delaware so we have the really boring area. Lol
Quoting franciaanya:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM

I'm from Florida. The list of things that are Not weird is way shorter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in NC and I still make my own boiled peanuts they are easy to do and taste so.much better.

Quoting mojogirl:

i lived in georgia for several years. LOVE boiled peanuts! they don't exist in texas. my mom ships them too me. :D

Quoting Anonymous 12:

Georgia - people eat boiled peanuts (they are so mushy and nasty - ick!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)