Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She had a meltdown, and I can't stop laughing

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DD, 28 is a little off center, think Sheldon Cooper. Everything is black and white, if you say something she always takes it literally.

She has been in therapy and behavior classes her entire life, she is as "normal" as she is going to get.

She lives at home and pays rent. We don't need her money, but it's the Principal. She paid rent last night and I said great, now I don't have to go to the ATM, dad and I are going away for the weekend.

She melded down, saying no, that money is for bills. After all this time, I still get a bit surprised at the situations she doesn't understand and the things that upset her.

I told her from now one, she can pay the cable and electric bill. I'm kind of setting her up, because once she realizes the amount isn't the same each month, she will be upset. Haha
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:31 AM
3 moms liked this
Meh, I get it. You can’t spend your life catering to her meltdowns and after 28 years you’ve found humor to help yourself through it. Dh has a cousin like that, everything is so literal with him and it’s annoying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:31 AM
I accept it, and she has been treated. For 25 years. This will teach her a lesson without me spending many many hours trying to explain. She has to learn by experiences. She is always been this way, she has to touch it, see it, before it's real.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Sounds like you wont accept and treat your daughters disability appropriately .  I feel bad for her.  My dd has serious issues and it can be tough, i would never enjoy her struggle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:32 AM
Yes! You got it. I'm not going to be here one day, the world will not cater to her.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Meh, I get it. You can’t spend your life catering to her meltdowns and after 28 years you’ve found humor to help yourself through it. Dh has a cousin like that, everything is so literal with him and it’s annoying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:33 AM
I have a friend who doesn't grasp simple concepts sometimes. It drives me insane. She told her boss at work that she wanted to work 30 hours a week, but only work on weekends. She couldn't understand how that might be impossible, or that it meant at the very least, 3 ten hour days or 2 fifteen hour days.

She ordered something in the mail. It was just something small and cheap. She ordered it on a holiday weekend. She checked the mail the very next morning, fully expecting it to be there. Then she called the company the next day when it hadn't arrived. She truly believed she had been scammed out of her $10 because she ordered it on Saturday and it wasn't in the mailbox on a holiday Monday. And it was coming from California to the east coast.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I get what you're saying but man the way you worded it just makes you look like an ass.  That is why everyone is jumping down your throat.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:34 AM
Congratulations on understanding that. You’re right you will be gone one day and hopefully you can leave some impression on her to know how to function so that she is easier to manage for someone else.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes! You got it. I'm not going to be here one day, the world will not cater to her.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Meh, I get it. You can’t spend your life catering to her meltdowns and after 28 years you’ve found humor to help yourself through it. Dh has a cousin like that, everything is so literal with him and it’s annoying.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:34 AM
You said she is "off center and sees things in black or white....she's as normal as she's going to get"
WTF does that even mean?

And if thats not bad enough...,,you set her up"?

I agree she needs to work/go to school and pay rent but JFC......do you even care about her?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Oh please. If she was a "normal" child, you all would be saying, good for you, she needs to learn that lesson. And that's life. Or, why is she still living at home.

Quoting Sassy762: JFC lady....you suck as a mother.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:34 AM
You’re either a terrible troll or an even worse mother...take your pick..
reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
How about you accept her for who she is. Wow.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:35 AM

I think what you are doing is just fine.

IF she ever moves out her bills etc won't be the same each month. If rather her break down with me so I can prepare her properly.

Good for you for "setting her up". Which is really not coddling her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)