Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She had a meltdown, and I can't stop laughing

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DD, 28 is a little off center, think Sheldon Cooper. Everything is black and white, if you say something she always takes it literally.

She has been in therapy and behavior classes her entire life, she is as "normal" as she is going to get.

She lives at home and pays rent. We don't need her money, but it's the Principal. She paid rent last night and I said great, now I don't have to go to the ATM, dad and I are going away for the weekend.

She melded down, saying no, that money is for bills. After all this time, I still get a bit surprised at the situations she doesn't understand and the things that upset her.

I told her from now one, she can pay the cable and electric bill. I'm kind of setting her up, because once she realizes the amount isn't the same each month, she will be upset. Haha
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:20 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:59 AM
Yes, we were taught that and many skills in behavior modification. After a while you get tired. I'm tried. She learns this way, it works.

And as far as my spelling mistake, I'm using speech to text, I'm not fixing mistakes.

Quoting Anonymous 10: I have a Sheldon as well. He is 11
Have you never heard the term front loading?
You know, where you just tell them so they learn to adjust their expectations.

When ordering you get to choose shipping. 3-5 days. Front loading that helps her adjust and remember.

When paying bills sometimes there are monthly add ins. Front load that so she can plan accordingly.

If you understood that in her brain, those little “gears” that everyone has are harder to change. Front loading is just a lubricant to help. It may not make it better, but, jeez, if you front loaded she may not have such difficulty and look for “3-5 days shipping & expected date of arrival” or ask the right questions.

And its principle, not principal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:00 AM
Wait.. what's the lesson? Because when you pay money for bills, they ACTUALLY go to bills..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:00 AM
I believe I've been described this way before. DD was diagnosed with Aspergers and then they took it away. You know, just erased it and left us with no diagnosis. Lol

Quoting flibbertygibbet: Ok, I am probably an asshole too.
My oldest son has Aspergers and I get it
And I kind of see the humor
You’re kind of an asshole
But you’re a funny asshole
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:00 AM
What is her diagnosis?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I accept it, and she has been treated. For 25 years. This will teach her a lesson without me spending many many hours trying to explain. She has to learn by experiences. She is always been this way, she has to touch it, see it, before it's real.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Sounds like you wont accept and treat your daughters disability appropriately .  I feel bad for her.  My dd has serious issues and it can be tough, i would never enjoy her struggle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:02 AM
I charge her $300. She nets $1900 a month. It's not hurting her to pay that little bit.

Quoting hburnette3: She can pay the cable and electric bills?!

How much do charge her for rent?

Quoting Anonymous 1: DD, 28 is a little off center, think Sheldon Cooper. Everything is black and white, if you say something she always takes it literally.

She has been in therapy and behavior classes her entire life, she is as "normal" as she is going to get.

She lives at home and pays rent. We don't need her money, but it's the Principal. She paid rent last night and I said great, now I don't have to go to the ATM, dad and I are going away for the weekend.

She melded down, saying no, that money is for bills. After all this time, I still get a bit surprised at the situations she doesn't understand and the things that upset her.

I told her from now one, she can pay the cable and electric bill. I'm kind of setting her up, because once she realizes the amount isn't the same each month, she will be upset. Haha
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:04 AM
Yes! Same here. I used to have to tell her teachers, don't tell her you plan on doing something, unless you really really, 100% are going to do it. She will never forget you said you are doing it.

Quoting Anonymous 8: Lol. Yeah if I go a different way somewhere he goes your going the wrong way. He's just super quirky. At first it was exhausting but now I'm just like OK sorry dude. Lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: Oh Yes! Been there, am still here. Haha

I will say liquid soap, she will say, are you talking about hand soap or dish soap. I will say, some time today I need to do laundry. She will say, what time are you doing it.

Quoting Anonymous 8: My son is the same way. Has melted down over calling boots shoes. It's hot coco not chocolate because you eat chocolate not drink it. Waffle blocks can't be called blocks. He's a weirdo but I love him.
hburnette3
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:05 AM
Nope not hurting her. That's fair.

I would be putting it back for her though.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I charge her $300. She nets $1900 a month. It's not hurting her to pay that little bit.

Quoting hburnette3: She can pay the cable and electric bills?!

How much do charge her for rent?

Quoting Anonymous 1: DD, 28 is a little off center, think Sheldon Cooper. Everything is black and white, if you say something she always takes it literally.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:06 AM
The DSM V redefined the aspergers diagnosis, they didn't take it away. When I read you post, I have to say that your daughter sounded like that would be her diagnosis but the statement around her being as normal as she can be expected to be is a little confusing. There are children and adolescents who have significant mental health issues such as schizophrenia and they would give their right kidney to trade places with you.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I believe I've been described this way before. DD was diagnosed with Aspergers and then they took it away. You know, just erased it and left us with no diagnosis. Lol

flibbertygibbet
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:06 AM
If it’s any consolation, his own psychologist told him that he would need to learn these sorts of skills. For the real world

Quoting Anonymous 1: I believe I've been described this way before. DD was diagnosed with Aspergers and then they took it away. You know, just erased it and left us with no diagnosis. Lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:07 AM
This. My dd has some struggles and I realize that she probably won't ever be "normal" but I could never laugh at her struggles. I realize my dd's limitations and talk to her in a way that is most productive. You suck, op.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Sounds like you wont accept and treat your daughters disability appropriately .  I feel bad for her.  My dd has serious issues and it can be tough, i would never enjoy her struggle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)