Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She had a meltdown, and I can't stop laughing

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DD, 28 is a little off center, think Sheldon Cooper. Everything is black and white, if you say something she always takes it literally.

She has been in therapy and behavior classes her entire life, she is as "normal" as she is going to get.

She lives at home and pays rent. We don't need her money, but it's the Principal. She paid rent last night and I said great, now I don't have to go to the ATM, dad and I are going away for the weekend.

She melded down, saying no, that money is for bills. After all this time, I still get a bit surprised at the situations she doesn't understand and the things that upset her.

I told her from now one, she can pay the cable and electric bill. I'm kind of setting her up, because once she realizes the amount isn't the same each month, she will be upset. Haha
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:20 AM
Replies (71-80):
astheworldspins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
You're not teaching her anything. You're being an asshole and justifying it by complaining how tough she was as a child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:27 AM
Your daughter's not the one with a problem.

msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:28 AM
No she pays rent. Rent is the landlords money to do with whatever they deem necessary.

Years ago I had a landlord using my rent money to pay mortgage on house he lived in rather than mine.He lost his house I had to move. I wasn't mad about it. It was his money.
But let's say it is for a specific bill but mom needs it immediately for something else. Then writes a personal check from her account to cover the bill the money still went to a bill. If mom deposits money then writes a check the bill company doesn't get the exact $20 $10 and $5 bills that was handed to her for said bill.

Its all a wash

Quoting Anonymous 13: Wait.. what's the lesson? Because when you pay money for bills, they ACTUALLY go to bills..
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:30 AM

You are NIOT trying to teach her-you are enjoying getting her upset.  You are a horrible mother.

survivorinohio
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:30 AM

I didnt say she didnt have treatment I said you do not treat her appropriately.  My dd is 32 and has always had problems as well.  Laughing isnt ok no matter how you choose to rationalize it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I accept it, and she has been treated. For 25 years. This will teach her a lesson without me spending many many hours trying to explain. She has to learn by experiences. She is always been this way, she has to touch it, see it, before it's real.
Quoting survivorinohio:

Sounds like you wont accept and treat your daughters disability appropriately .  I feel bad for her.  My dd has serious issues and it can be tough, i would never enjoy her struggle.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

sassygoddess
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:33 AM
She needs a Leonard
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:34 AM
Laughter is a perfectly acceptable emotional response to surprise. She stated she is still surprised at what can cause her to have issues. My nephew is 7 and is like this. Its annoying but sometimes you have to just laugh, other times he gets life's tough kiddo. Things aren't always going to fit into your idea of a box.

Quoting survivorinohio:

I didnt say she didnt have treatment I said you do not treat her appropriately.  My dd is 32 and has always had problems as well.  Laughing isnt ok no matter how you choose to rationalize it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I accept it, and she has been treated. For 25 years. This will teach her a lesson without me spending many many hours trying to explain. She has to learn by experiences. She is always been this way, she has to touch it, see it, before it's real.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Sounds like you wont accept and treat your daughters disability appropriately .  I feel bad for her.  My dd has serious issues and it can be tough, i would never enjoy her struggle.

alexsmommy51405
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:34 AM
You are absolutely terrible. I would never mindfuck my aspergers child like you just did your daughter.

Quoting Anonymous 1: DD, 28 is a little off center, think Sheldon Cooper. Everything is black and white, if you say something she always takes it literally.

She has been in therapy and behavior classes her entire life, she is as "normal" as she is going to get.

She lives at home and pays rent. We don't need her money, but it's the Principal. She paid rent last night and I said great, now I don't have to go to the ATM, dad and I are going away for the weekend.

She melded down, saying no, that money is for bills. After all this time, I still get a bit surprised at the situations she doesn't understand and the things that upset her.

I told her from now one, she can pay the cable and electric bill. I'm kind of setting her up, because once she realizes the amount isn't the same each month, she will be upset. Haha
ReaIisticbeauti
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM
I swear I do the same shit sometimes with my SO lol. He is the same way.
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM
Why doesn’t she live on her own. Sounds like she needs to take the steps to get her own place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)