Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She had a meltdown, and I can't stop laughing

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DD, 28 is a little off center, think Sheldon Cooper. Everything is black and white, if you say something she always takes it literally.

She has been in therapy and behavior classes her entire life, she is as "normal" as she is going to get.

She lives at home and pays rent. We don't need her money, but it's the Principal. She paid rent last night and I said great, now I don't have to go to the ATM, dad and I are going away for the weekend.

She melded down, saying no, that money is for bills. After all this time, I still get a bit surprised at the situations she doesn't understand and the things that upset her.

I told her from now one, she can pay the cable and electric bill. I'm kind of setting her up, because once she realizes the amount isn't the same each month, she will be upset. Haha
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:20 AM
Replies (81-90):
ReaIisticbeauti
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:36 AM
I totally agree with you!

Quoting Anonymous 5: Meh, I get it. You can’t spend your life catering to her meltdowns and after 28 years you’ve found humor to help yourself through it. Dh has a cousin like that, everything is so literal with him and it’s annoying.
poietes
by Laura on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh my god, some of you ladies just like to harp on the op no matter how simple the matter is. holy cow!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:37 AM
I think you should read your post.

You are a jerk.

franciaanya
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:37 AM
I don't even know who this Sheldon guy is.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
My guess is that she doesn't know because you never took the time to explain it to her. You know she's not typical in the way she handles things like this. I would have just sat down and explain to her that y'all pay all the bills before she pays you the rent. So since you've already paid all the bills the money she pays you is yours to do whatever you want with
ThatBoysMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:39 AM
I know u feel the need to use humor to get through this but please don't get her confused and worked up over nothing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:40 AM

Why not just say okay, and drop it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:40 AM
What you did with her is a normal life lesson. I don’t believe in treating people with disabilities different than what we would treat anyone else. At 28 years old and years of therapy and services you should not have to alter how you speak with her.

I.Cant.Even....
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM
Yaaassssss! Thank you.

Quoting Elyce225:
I think what you are doing is just fine.

IF she ever moves out her bills etc won't be the same each month. If rather her break down with me so I can prepare her properly.

Good for you for "setting her up". Which is really not coddling her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:47 AM

That fact that you find it funny to upset and put your obviously special needs daughter in distress is disgusting.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Why? Because I handle things with humor? This kid had driven me to be in a corner, holding myself, crying. I have to keep trying to teach her life lessons.
Quoting Anonymous 2: I can see why she's been in therapy so long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)