Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'd like a glass of wine or two this weekend, but I'm exclusively pumping for twins in the NICU, so obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal.

BUT, I plan on breastfeeding for a year. So with twins, plus my 6 and 5yo, necessary wine will likely be in my future. 😂
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Replies (131-138):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:47 PM
People’s definition on when they can drive with alcohol vary, with dire consequences, so I would say this is not a safe rule of thumb.

Quoting rebeccasmommy09: I’m nursing my newborn and will have a glass several nights a week. She gets very little in the milk. The rule of thumb is if you’re safe to drive, you’re safe to nurse.
SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I probably am. The last time I drank was March last year. It's almost been a WHOLE YEAR. Agh. I guess I need to find a local AA program. Thank you. ❤

Quoting Anonymous 24:

You may be an alcoholic if you can't go your entire pregnancy and breastfeeding  afterwards w/out a drink. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Feb. 10, 2018 at 2:17 PM
I would think your supply isn’t built up yet and pumping and dumping at this moment when it’s need the most is stupid.

I wouldn’t. Just eat some ice cream.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Feb. 10, 2018 at 7:06 PM
I think you can live without wine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Feb. 10, 2018 at 9:55 PM
IF you are safe to drive, you are safe to nurse. Enjoy your self ( the very little bit you can).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:40 AM
This is only my thoughts, my opinion for myself. If I had twins in the nicu, I wouldn’t do anything, no matter how small , that could even possibly hurt my babies. I know my thinking probably sounds like an over-protective mom, but I don’t think having a glass of wine is worth it. Obviously the OP has a little bit of fear about it, or she wouldn’t have started this post.

Again just my opinion, the OP needs to decide what’s more important to her? Her twins or a glass of wine. It’s just that simple.
Coffeechoco12
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:45 AM
She's not drinking everyday. I had kid 6 a week ago and went out with friends to dinner last night. I had one mixed drink, hardly makes me need alcohol.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Someone who needs alcohol that bad has an issue.  Just don't drink.  It is pretty simple.  

Quoting emandab: Lol why?

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I would not drink till you are done breastfeeding.  

Coffeechoco12
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm loving all the sanctimommies on here. If you're drinking everyday you have a problem. If you have a drink once in awhile and I'm saying one or two drinks then who cares.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)