Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'd like a glass of wine or two this weekend, but I'm exclusively pumping for twins in the NICU, so obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal.

BUT, I plan on breastfeeding for a year. So with twins, plus my 6 and 5yo, necessary wine will likely be in my future. 😂
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you not understand how long it takes for the body to process alcohol, and that you can feel sober when your body isn't because of tolerance?  

Quoting Anonymous 2: This. The other night between 9pm- 1145 I had 3 mixed drinks and a beer. I was fine to nurse my 1 month old at 1 am.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

A glass is fine. They also have alcohol detector strips now, if you're worried. They're only like $10 a box. 

boredhousewif83
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouln't if my baies were in the NICU. But thee saying is: If you are fine to drive, then you are fine to nurse. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:29 AM
10 moms liked this

She has NICU babies.  Why risk it with them.  Come on lets be real here.  You can't wait a few months to drink after you have already waited 9 months?  I am shocked at the shit I read on here.  

Quoting Anonymous 5: Completely unnecessary from a safety standpoint. Alcohol doesn't stay in the breast milk forever. It gets metabolized just like it does in your body.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

I would not drink till you are done breastfeeding.  

fiddlerbird555
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Ask the doctor, but I suspect it's fine. I don't know of particular preemie issues but becoming comotose from drinking requires about half a percent of alcohol in your blood. That level in a drink is considered non-alcoholic. One drink one time shouldn't be an issue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it's hypocritical the way some women go on and on about breastfeeding being the ONLY was to feed your child only to turn around and drink alcohol and eat whatever you feel like. Ive seen some pretty obese breastfeeders.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Ask the doctor? There may be special precautions with nicu babies
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

You cannot drink AT ALL when you are breastfeeding.  You never take a chance.

fiddlerbird555
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:32 AM
Generally they say 1 hour to metabolize one ounce of pure alcohol, the equivalent of one drink.

Quoting Anonymous 6:

Do you not understand how long it takes for the body to process alcohol, and that you can feel sober when your body isn't because of tolerance?  

Quoting Anonymous 2: This. The other night between 9pm- 1145 I had 3 mixed drinks and a beer. I was fine to nurse my 1 month old at 1 am.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

A glass is fine. They also have alcohol detector strips now, if you're worried. They're only like $10 a box. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I know there is test strips you can get. But with pumping for NICU babies I wouldn’t think that would be a smart choice.

To be fair I don’t have any experience in this. I am a mom of 5 with another on the way. I breastfeed till at least 2yrs. I don’t drink alcohol or drink coffee. Because of my faith.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
What's the risk though? Do you not understand how alcohol is metabolized?

If she pumps right before she has a drink, has a small glass of wine, and dumps her next pump session, there's no risk. The next batch of milk will be a good 4-6 hours after the wine. One glass of wine is metabolized in about an hour. She's fine.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

She has NICU babies.  Why risk it with them.  Come on lets be real here.  You can't wait a few months to drink after you have already waited 9 months?  I am shocked at the shit I read on here.  

Quoting Anonymous 5: Completely unnecessary from a safety standpoint. Alcohol doesn't stay in the breast milk forever. It gets metabolized just like it does in your body.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I would not drink till you are done breastfeeding.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)