Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'd like a glass of wine or two this weekend, but I'm exclusively pumping for twins in the NICU, so obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal.

BUT, I plan on breastfeeding for a year. So with twins, plus my 6 and 5yo, necessary wine will likely be in my future. 😂
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Replies (31-40):
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:49 AM
Babies in the NICU would be a big no from me, but beyond that I don’t see a big deal.
mom-x-2
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Do you not understand she used the test strips and her breastmilk was found to be nonalcoholic?

Quoting Anonymous 6:

Do you not understand how long it takes for the body to process alcohol, and that you can feel sober when your body isn't because of tolerance?  

Quoting Anonymous 2: This. The other night between 9pm- 1145 I had 3 mixed drinks and a beer. I was fine to nurse my 1 month old at 1 am.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

A glass is fine. They also have alcohol detector strips now, if you're worried. They're only like $10 a box. 

CannotCount
by It's Misspelt on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:49 AM
2 moms liked this
While it is generally safe to have a drink while breastfeeding I would err on the side of caution if you have newborns in NICU.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 10:31 AM
Yeah I'm aware. I was fine to nurse. This isn't my first rodeo.

Quoting Anonymous 6:

Do you not understand how long it takes for the body to process alcohol, and that you can feel sober when your body isn't because of tolerance?  

Quoting Anonymous 2: This. The other night between 9pm- 1145 I had 3 mixed drinks and a beer. I was fine to nurse my 1 month old at 1 am.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

A glass is fine. They also have alcohol detector strips now, if you're worried. They're only like $10 a box. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Your babies are in the NICU.  You should not be drinking since they're getting your breast milk.

newwifenmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 10:41 AM

My doctors were on the good to drive, good to breastfeed train, I did this almost 2 yrs.

GloBug62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Two glasses of wine is not going to hurt. Just wait the suggested amount of time before nursing again. I drank wine several times while I was pumping.

Manic_Sinner
by 5/27/2018🤰🏽 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting boredhousewif83:

I wouln't if my baies were in the NICU. But thee saying is: If you are fine to drive, then you are fine to nurse. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 10:52 AM
Personally, I would skip a pumping session or wait until the babies are out of the NICU.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM

As long as you can drive you can breastfeed as a rule of thumb.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)