Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'd like a glass of wine or two this weekend, but I'm exclusively pumping for twins in the NICU, so obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal.

BUT, I plan on breastfeeding for a year. So with twins, plus my 6 and 5yo, necessary wine will likely be in my future. 😂
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Replies (41-50):
ninjakids
by Christina on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:34 AM
This. It doesn’t stay in your milk, so there’s no need to pump & dump to “clear” it.

Wine is typically low alcohol %. Two glasses would take no more than 4-5 hours max (to be extra safe) Id say.

Quoting rebeccasmommy09: I’m nursing my newborn and will have a glass several nights a week. She gets very little in the milk. The rule of thumb is if you’re safe to drive, you’re safe to nurse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I was told it was fine to have one drink while I was breastfeeding (I breastfed 4 kids for at least 12 months each), but I never did. It just felt wrong to me. I enjoy drinking, but it wasn’t a big deal to go without while I was nourishing my kids. When I was done breastfeeding my last I went on a weekend trip to Vegas and had an amazing time. It was my reward to myself, lol
HunnyBabie
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:40 AM

The best advice I've read about this is that, if the mother if feeling the effects of an alcoholic drink, then she should not breastfeed.  If you don't feel it or you feel that it's passed, then the level is low enough in your system that it's going to be a very low (to non-existent) level in your milk.

I drank coffee in the mornings and wine in the afternoons, when I was nursing (I've nursed 5 kids for different lengths of time and different combinations of caffeine and alcohol, never a high level of either).  I nursed my first with caffeine in my system; she missed 2 naps and I started drinking decaf while nursing her.  With my last, I avoided nuring her between 30 min after my first sip and 3 hours after my last (fed her pumped milk in between) and she never got any caffeine.

I followed the how-I-felt advice about alcohol, and she never seemed to get any; certainly not a level that altered her behavior at all.  Alcohol isn't bad for the human body, it's just bad from a certain level and above.

Since you're pumping, you can pump-and-dump to avoid giving your LOs anything you don't want them to have.

HunnyBabie
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:41 AM

This too.

Quoting ninjakids: This. It doesn’t stay in your milk, so there’s no need to pump & dump to “clear” it. Wine is typically low alcohol %. Two glasses would take no more than 4-5 hours max (to be extra safe) Id say.
Quoting rebeccasmommy09: I’m nursing my newborn and will have a glass several nights a week. She gets very little in the milk. The rule of thumb is if you’re safe to drive, you’re safe to nurse.

Join us in the Moms of Higher Education group

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:58 AM
There are new findings that the amount of alcohol that passes through breast milk is almost non existent. A glass of wine a few hours before you pump will most likely not be an issue. No need to dump good milk out, or just save that milk for a later date.
haydsmom2007
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM
It’s fine
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:02 PM
Doctors often recommend a beer occasionally to help with let down.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:53 PM

Ask the nurses. I mean, With a healthy term baby its safe to drive safe to nurse. But with nicu babies it may be differant.

spacedementia
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:00 PM
Usually I’d say you’re fine but yeah, better safe than sorry when it comes to NICU babies.
Phoenix_lament
by Fawkes on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1:

A glass is fine. They also have alcohol detector strips now, if you're worried. They're only like $10 a box. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)