Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'd like a glass of wine or two this weekend, but I'm exclusively pumping for twins in the NICU, so obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal.

BUT, I plan on breastfeeding for a year. So with twins, plus my 6 and 5yo, necessary wine will likely be in my future. ๐Ÿ˜‚
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Replies (51-60):
SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:27 PM
I literally crazy-proofed this post by including "obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal. "

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Someone who needs alcohol that bad has an issue.  Just don't drink.  It is pretty simple.  

Quoting emandab: Lol why?

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I would not drink till you are done breastfeeding.  

LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:29 PM

I'm sorry but if my Babies are in the NICU the LAST thing that would be on my mind is going out and drinking!! My son was only in the NICU a week with underdeveloped lungs and I gave the Nurses breast milk every day for him. I would have never considered drinking and giving them that milk!!

SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM
Right? Lmao the last time I drank alcohol was last year on DHs birthday.. in March. Literally it's almost been an entire year. But yeah I think I'm skipping out on it for now! I'm so scared to risk anything.

Quoting Fat.Bottom.Girl: I agree with not wanting to chance it with NICU babies, but if someone breastfeeds for 3 years and would like a glass of wine at a wedding during that time, that doesn't mean they "need" alcohol. You're making it sound like if you have 1 drink in several years time that you must be a lush.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

She has NICU babies.  Why risk it with them.  Come on lets be real here.  You can't wait a few months to drink after you have already waited 9 months?  I am shocked at the shit I read on here.  

Quoting Anonymous 5: Completely unnecessary from a safety standpoint. Alcohol doesn't stay in the breast milk forever. It gets metabolized just like it does in your body.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I would not drink till you are done breastfeeding.  

LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM

slap

Quoting Anonymous 2: This. The other night between 9pm- 1145 I had 3 mixed drinks and a beer. I was fine to nurse my 1 month old at 1 am.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

A glass is fine. They also have alcohol detector strips now, if you're worried. They're only like $10 a box. 

SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:33 PM
Obviously, that's why I'm asking what the "rules" are so that it's done safely. Lol and we're on day 49 in the NICU and they've had my milk the entire time too. But I'm skipping out on the wine for now, so.

Quoting LuvHugs429:

I'm sorry but if my Babies are in the NICU the LAST thing that would be on my mind is going out and drinking!! My son was only in the NICU a week with underdeveloped lungs and I gave the Nurses breast milk every day for him. I would have never considered drinking and giving them that milk!!

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:36 PM
Do a pump right before you drink. By he next, you should be fine if itโ€™s only one drink.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
No not with nicu babies.
LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:43 PM

I don't even know why you would consider with babies in the NICU what do they weigh? How much longer will they be in the NICU?

Quoting SPNpudding: Obviously, that's why I'm asking what the "rules" are so that it's done safely. Lol and we're on day 49 in the NICU and they've had my milk the entire time too. But I'm skipping out on the wine for now, so.
Quoting LuvHugs429:

Maara
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:44 PM
Safe to drive safe to nurse. Americans are weirdly puritanical when it comes to alcohol and mothers. I had few pints of dark beer in my last trimester. I drank beer pretty regularly when I was bf since it helped to increase the milk volume. Itโ€™s okey ladies. Iโ€™m European and my doc backs me up on this one.
SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:55 PM
Because I'm a horrible, alcoholic, shitty mom and person, duh!

No but really, they were born at 27 weeks at 2lbs and some ounces each. Today is day 49, week six (on Monday) that I am dealing with having BABIES in the hospital. That means for 49 days, I have drove 45 miles away one way to see my babies, that I have pumped around the clock for my babies, even in the middle of the night! Today is day 49, week 6, and DD reached 4 pounds and DS has been off of a breathig machine for 24 hours. Forgive me all over the fucking place because I *CONSIDERED* having ONE GLASS of wine- and it wouldn't even be a whole glass because wine tastes like a melted Sharpie to me- with my HUSBAND because I'm a little heartbroken and it might offer me some temporary relief. I WISH that I had only had to do these things and feel this way for a WEEK.

Quoting LuvHugs429:

I don't even know why you would consider with babies in the NICU what do they weigh? How much longer will they be in the NICU?

Quoting SPNpudding: Obviously, that's why I'm asking what the "rules" are so that it's done safely. Lol and we're on day 49 in the NICU and they've had my milk the entire time too. But I'm skipping out on the wine for now, so.

Quoting LuvHugs429:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)