Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'd like a glass of wine or two this weekend, but I'm exclusively pumping for twins in the NICU, so obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal.

BUT, I plan on breastfeeding for a year. So with twins, plus my 6 and 5yo, necessary wine will likely be in my future. 😂
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Replies (71-80):
brime98
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:33 PM
I wouldn't risk it. Especially with babies in the nick. Safer to err on the side of caution when it comes to kiddos.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:35 PM

24 hours just to be safe. Why did it really matter so much to correct me? 

Quoting Anonymous 5:

24 hours is uncessary. It doesn't take 24 hours to metabolize alcohol. For one glass of wine, she'd maybe have to pump and dump one feeding, and that's only because the babies are in the NICU.

Quoting Anonymous 19:

Pump and dump for the first 24 hours after drinking

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Some of these comments make me cring. Lay of the drinks while breastfeeding; it's common sense.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:42 PM

Because you're giving ridiculous advice to a woman who has already been attacked. She probably wouldn't have enough milk for her babies if she had to dump a full day's worth of milk down the sink

It takes approximately one hour for our bodies to clear one drink from our bodies. That includes from breast milk. If she pumped, had 1 glass of wine, and then didn't pump again for another 2-3 hours, THAT would be enough time. She wouldn't have to dump any breast milk. Since her babies are in the NICU, I suggested dumping one feeding to be EXTRA, EXTRA careful. Milk from a pumping session that happens 4-6 hours after ONE drink is going to be completely alcohol free. 

Quoting Anonymous 19:

24 hours just to be safe. Why did it really matter so much to correct me? 

Quoting Anonymous 5:

24 hours is uncessary. It doesn't take 24 hours to metabolize alcohol. For one glass of wine, she'd maybe have to pump and dump one feeding, and that's only because the babies are in the NICU.

Quoting Anonymous 19:

Pump and dump for the first 24 hours after drinking

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:43 PM

You mean comments based on how our bodies scientifically metabolize alcohol?

Quoting Anonymous 21: Some of these comments make me cring. Lay of the drinks while breastfeeding; it's common sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:47 PM
Breastfeeding and drinking is OK but drinking while pregnant is wrong.?
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:50 PM
Not something id do.
MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:52 PM
The level of alcohol in breastmilk matches your blood alcohol level. Pumping and dumping is unnecessary. Have a couple glasses of wine and then wait a few hours to pump. You will be all right. :) I think the general rule of thumb is if you're safe to drive, you're safe to nurse.
MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:54 PM
Totally different. When you drink the alcohol in your bloodstream goes right to the baby. Alcohol in breast milk fluctuates with your blood alcohol level. If you drink a glass of wine, then wait a few hours, there will be no alcohol in your breast milk.

Quoting Anonymous 22: Breastfeeding and drinking is OK but drinking while pregnant is wrong.?
SnowKittyDemon
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:57 PM
Where do you get “that bad” from? She merely asked for your reasoning.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Someone who needs alcohol that bad has an issue.  Just don't drink.  It is pretty simple.  

Quoting emandab: Lol why?

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I would not drink till you are done breastfeeding.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)