Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'd like a glass of wine or two this weekend, but I'm exclusively pumping for twins in the NICU, so obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal.

BUT, I plan on breastfeeding for a year. So with twins, plus my 6 and 5yo, necessary wine will likely be in my future. 😂
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Replies (81-90):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:00 PM
Exactly as a OB nurse these comments are absolutely hilarious and are so misinformed about breastfeeding. There’s no reason why she cannot have one or two drinks and still pumped out for her babies even if they’re in the NICU. Like you said I would absolutely pump and dump one extra time but there’s no reason she cannot have a glass or two of wine.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Because you're giving ridiculous advice to a woman who has already been attacked. She probably wouldn't have enough milk for her babies if she had to dump a full day's worth of milk down the sink

It takes approximately one hour for our bodies to clear one drink from our bodies. That includes from breast milk. If she pumped, had 1 glass of wine, and then didn't pump again for another 2-3 hours, THAT would be enough time. She wouldn't have to dump any breast milk. Since her babies are in the NICU, I suggested dumping one feeding to be EXTRA, EXTRA careful. Milk from a pumping session that happens 4-6 hours after ONE drink is going to be completely alcohol free. 

Quoting Anonymous 19:

24 hours just to be safe. Why did it really matter so much to correct me? 

Quoting Anonymous 5:

24 hours is uncessary. It doesn't take 24 hours to metabolize alcohol. For one glass of wine, she'd maybe have to pump and dump one feeding, and that's only because the babies are in the NICU.

Quoting Anonymous 19:

Pump and dump for the first 24 hours after drinking

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:04 PM

Do you understand how alcohol works?

Quoting Anonymous 22: Breastfeeding and drinking is OK but drinking while pregnant is wrong.?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:04 PM
Ok. I never drank so I was curious.

Quoting MommyOfOne2710: Totally different. When you drink the alcohol in your bloodstream goes right to the baby. Alcohol in breast milk fluctuates with your blood alcohol level. If you drink a glass of wine, then wait a few hours, there will be no alcohol in your breast milk.

Quoting Anonymous 22: Breastfeeding and drinking is OK but drinking while pregnant is wrong.?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:07 PM
No as I just stated just before you quoted me I dont drink.
I was curious thats why I asked.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:10 PM
Gotcha. :)

Quoting Anonymous 22: Ok. I never drank so I was curious.

Quoting MommyOfOne2710: Totally different. When you drink the alcohol in your bloodstream goes right to the baby. Alcohol in breast milk fluctuates with your blood alcohol level. If you drink a glass of wine, then wait a few hours, there will be no alcohol in your breast milk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not a very hard concept, even if you don't drink.

When you're pregnant, the baby is with you all the time. The alcohol goes from your blood through the placenta and right to the baby. Also, embryos and fetuses are very sensitive to alcohol. 

When breastfeeding, you aren't connected to the baby 24/7. Alcohol doesn't stay in your system forever. Our bodies metabolize alcohol. After a little while, all of the alcohol is gone from your body. If you pump (or nurse), then have a drink, and then wait for it to metabolize, there will be no alcohol in the milk by the time for the next feeding. Now if have many drinks and are drunk when you go feed, THEN alcohol will be in your system and breast milk.

Generally the advice is if you can drive you can nurse. Or, you wait one hour for each drink you've had. Since the OP's babies are in the NICU, she'd probably want to be more cautious, but one glass of wine would be out of her system pretty quickly. If she pumped once and threw out that milk, she'd absolutely be fine by the next pumping sessiong.

Quoting Anonymous 22: No as I just stated just before you quoted me I dont drink. I was curious thats why I asked.
Quoting Anonymous 5:

shadow_lark
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:15 PM
Safe to drive safe to nurse. Though with a nicu baby I'd err on the side of caution. Maybe limit it to half that and then wait for it to metabolize out before pumping.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:21 PM
Drinking while pregnant yes. Breastfeeding no I didn't know.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

When you're pregnant, the baby is with you all the time. The alcohol goes from your blood through the placenta and right to the baby. Also, embryos and fetuses are very sensitive to alcohol. 

When breastfeeding, you aren't connected to the baby 24/7. Alcohol doesn't stay in your system forever. Our bodies metabolize alcohol. After a little while, all of the alcohol is gone from your body. If you pump (or nurse), then have a drink, and then wait for it to metabolize, there will be no alcohol in the milk by the time for the next feeding. Now if have many drinks and are drunk when you go feed, THEN alcohol will be in your system and breast milk.

Generally the advice is if you can drive you can nurse. Or, you wait one hour for each drink you've had. Since the OP's babies are in the NICU, she'd probably want to be more cautious, but one glass of wine would be out of her system pretty quickly. If she pumped once and threw out that milk, she'd absolutely be fine by the next pumping sessiong.

Quoting Anonymous 22: No as I just stated just before you quoted me I dont drink.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:27 PM

Well, now you do.

Quoting Anonymous 22: Drinking while pregnant yes. Breastfeeding no I didn't know.
Quoting Anonymous 5:

Quoting Anonymous 22: No as I just stated just before you quoted me I dont drink. I was curious thats why I asked.
Quoting Anonymous 5:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:29 PM
Yes I do

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Well, now you do.

Quoting Anonymous 22: Drinking while pregnant yes. Breastfeeding no I didn't know.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Quoting Anonymous 22: No as I just stated just before you quoted me I dont drink.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)