Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohol and Breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'd like a glass of wine or two this weekend, but I'm exclusively pumping for twins in the NICU, so obviously I don't want to risk ANYthing. If it's a bad idea then I'll do without.. it's not that big of a deal.

BUT, I plan on breastfeeding for a year. So with twins, plus my 6 and 5yo, necessary wine will likely be in my future. 😂
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Replies (91-100):
by Anonymous 24 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM

I don't believe in drinking while breastfeeding.   If you want to drink, feed them formula.   Everything you eat/drink will go to the baby.

by Anonymous 24 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:32 PM

You may be an alcoholic if you can't go your entire pregnancy and breastfeeding  afterwards w/out a drink. 

by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:37 PM
I completely agree. I wouldn't do it while my babies were in the nicu but thankfully I never had a baby in the nicu. My babies were born 5 weeks early but I also used discretion when deciding to do that and I never over did it.

Quoting Anonymous 4: That's great your babies were fine. I'm glad they were. And I will admit it is probably not a huge risk. But there IS risk, especially for premature infants in the nicu, so I don't think it's wise for people to flippantly tell this mother that it's 100% fine.
Each of us have to weigh for ourselves what amount of risk we are willing to take with our children. But to tell her there is no risk in this, simply isn't true.

Quoting momoffour2013: I breastfed my premature newborns and still had a glass or two of liquor on the weekends. My babies were fine.

Quoting Anonymous 4: No no no.
A glass or two is fine once babies are over 3 months old. Before then their livers are immature and it is possible for even a small amount passing into the milk to cause damage.
Your babies are in the nicu? I absolutely would not risk it.
In addition, your supply is still regulating and Alcohol consumption inhibits letdown and can cause babies to be extra sleepy.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:14 PM
That’s not necessary. My 5 month old is mostly EBF, he gets formula when I work or when I need someone to watch him. Wednesday night my bf and I drove to a concert 2 hours away. I had 2 Jack and Cokes. Even if we hadn’t gotten home hours later, I still could have nurses him.

If you fell sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I would not drink till you are done breastfeeding.  

by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:26 PM
The alcohol testing strips are very inaccurate, giving false positives. Alcohol and medication does not pass into breastmilk in anywhere near the concentration that it crosses the placenta. Since you are pumping for preemies, pump, have your glass of wine and then wait two hours to pump again. Have a glass of water for every glass of alcohol, soda, tea or cup of coffee.

Once they are home and nursing, tbe "safe to drive, safe to nurse" rule works.

If you havent already, please join us in the Breastfeeding Moms group!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:32 PM
When I was pregnant I went to a Lamaze class and someone asked about that. The nurse doing the class said to pump and dump the next feeding and you will be fine. But if in doubt get the test strips.
by Anonymous 25 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally my babies were more important to me than a drink here and there. But if you can’t handle not drinking for a measly year then make sure you pump and dump at least two hours after the drink. But seriously just grow up and save the drink until after the babies don’t need your milk to be healthy. Why risk it just to have a silly glass of wine?
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:40 PM

A nursing mother CAN drink alcohol. You just have to wait for it to leave your bloodstream. The Le Leche League says, as an example, if a 140 lb woman has 1 beer or 1 glass of wine, she should wait 2-3 hours before nursing. There is no longer a NO SHE CAN'T thought on this.

by Anonymous 26 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:56 PM
I am shocked and repulsed. You can’t wait till you finish ebf to have drinks?? Sounds like you have an alcohol problem.

Quoting Anonymous 2: This. The other night between 9pm- 1145 I had 3 mixed drinks and a beer. I was fine to nurse my 1 month old at 1 am.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

A glass is fine. They also have alcohol detector strips now, if you're worried. They're only like $10 a box. 

by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:01 PM

it might be ok if you drink it before you pump & then wait to pump.  I'm sure you can find accurate info on the La Leche League or Kelly Mom website.  Personally I wouldn't drink with such young babies especially if they are in the NICU, but that's me 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)