Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We're never going to get caught back up

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Mobile Photo

We got behind on some of our bills in dec and January. Weather related. Dh is back working but he isn't getting many hours. He'll go in and it will start raining and get sent home. If he works all day today. He'll have 30 hr next week. Which will make for a crappy check. i am trying to pay extra on my rent weekly to get it caught up. I am paying weekly until we get it caught up. as of right now i am only able to pay an extra $100 a week and my rent is $825 a month. But i also have a car payment i got behind on and i am paying $100 a week on too. When it is normally $150 biweekly.
His check this week was only $500 Because he didn't even get quite 40 hrs last week. My check was $600 but i get paid bi weekly. But i have $175 car insurance to pay, $100 car, $400 in rent. After all of that well have $200 left. And now it looks like it will rain all next week too.

Next week dh check will be shit and i got my cell phone automatically coming out.

I am waiting on our taxes which isn't much but is enough to get us caught up. But ut hasn't moved past received. It has been there for over a week. I jopr2 it gets deposited next week. Otherwise i won't be able to pay extra on my rent
I just want to get caught up. I am also behind on our credit cards and they are blowing our phone up.

Just a vent after i checked next weeks weather. Ugh
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:37 PM
We moved He has been with this company for 5 months . We wasn't here in the spring and summer. And we are not getting eic or the ectc.

Quoting Anonymous 8:

So your DH works construction??Unless its his first year you should know how the system works....you need to save some money from the spring/summer when he's working a lot to help cover the bills in the slow seasonHell I'm not even in construction and I know thatAlso taxes with an EIC won't even start to be processed until the 15th so you've got at least another week

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:38 PM

The thing with that philosophy is that the present becomes the future in a blink of an eye. Private college costs on average fifty five thousand dollars per year and state school ( out of your state) would be between twenty two and twenty nine thousand dollars per year. I hope there is some way for your kids to apply for academic and sports scholarships because they will never be able to pay for that on their own.

Quoting Anonymous 1: 2 decades younger. If my kids want to go out of state they can pay for it Like i did. And my dh wouldn't get social security he would ssdi which is different. And i will worry about that later. I cant worry about the future until i get the present straighten out.
Quoting Anonymous 7:

I am 56 and I imagine you are a few decades younger. Here is the thing, if you do not start saving for retirement, you will be living off of social security and NOBODY can live comfortably off of social security. If your child or children want to go to somewhere besides a state school, they will be out of options except to take out huge student loans that could keep them in debt for years and years. Your husband likely has a very job that requires a certain amount of physical labor and can you imagine what would happen to your finances if he was out on disability ..most guys my age who began as construction workers or landscapers made fairly good money starting out but they are in terrible shape forty years down the road and with so other job skills or formal education, they are limited in what they can do. I am wishing you the best but think about some long term planning.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Mk college fund. But my state offers 4 yr free college to anyone who has graduated. And no 401 k. Roght2 now we are just trying to stay afloat. We've had a lot of changes within the past yr and we have been trying to build ourselves back up to comfortable position and keep hitting roadblocks
Quoting Anonymous 7:

Would you and your husband even consider meeting with a financial planner just to go over your budget? Do you have any savings plans for your children college or a 401K for your retirement?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Our cc debt isn't that high. About $1500. I was working on paying it down then this happened
Quoting Anonymous 7:

Any man or woman who works in the trades seems to be very, very dependent on the weather. They go through weeks and even months where they are making very little . Is there anyway you both could cut up the credit cards you don't need, consolidate your credit card debut and once you pay it off, never again hold a balance?

SnowKittyDemon
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM
Most are understanding if you’re up front about it and keep them updated and show effort to catch up.
I assume they told the landlord the predicament as soon as they knew and made a plan to catch up, which OP is keeping. If they wrote it out, it’s enforceable.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

So you are behind on rent?  What kind of landlord is ok with the tenants not paying rent on time? I was under the impression you had to pay or face eviction.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM
I am not going to stress about my future right now. I have to worry about the now. And my kids can fo to a state school to start out or pay for it themselves

Quoting Anonymous 7:

The thing with that philosophy is that the present becomes the future in a blink of an eye. Private college costs on average fifty five thousand dollars per year and state school ( out of your state) would be between twenty two and twenty nine thousand dollars per year. I hope there is some way for your kids to apply for academic and sports scholarships because they will never be able to pay for that on their own.

Quoting Anonymous 1: 2 decades younger. If my kids want to go out of state they can pay for it
Like i did. And my dh wouldn't get social security he would ssdi which is different. And i will worry about that later. I cant worry about the future until i get the present straighten out.

Quoting Anonymous 7:

I am 56 and I imagine you are a few decades younger. Here is the thing, if you do not start saving for retirement, you will be living off of social security and NOBODY can live comfortably off of social security. If your child or children want to go to somewhere besides a state school, they will be out of options except to take out huge student loans that could keep them in debt for years and years. Your husband likely has a very job that requires a certain amount of physical labor and can you imagine what would happen to your finances if he was out on disability ..most guys my age who began as construction workers or landscapers made fairly good money starting out but they are in terrible shape forty years down the road and with so other job skills or formal education, they are limited in what they can do. I am wishing you the best but think about some long term planning.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Mk college fund. But my state offers 4 yr free college to anyone who has graduated. And no 401 k. Roght2 now we are just trying to stay afloat. We've had a lot of changes within the past yr and we have been trying to build ourselves back up to comfortable position and keep hitting roadblocks

Quoting Anonymous 7:

Would you and your husband even consider meeting with a financial planner just to go over your budget? Do you have any savings plans for your children college or a 401K for your retirement?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Our cc debt isn't that high. About $1500. I was working on paying it down then this happened

Quoting Anonymous 7:

Any man or woman who works in the trades seems to be very, very dependent on the weather. They go through weeks and even months where they are making very little . Is there anyway you both could cut up the credit cards you don't need, consolidate your credit card debut and once you pay it off, never again hold a balance?

sonnyswoman75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:43 PM
Sometimes you just have to focus on the present. There is nothing wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I am not going to stress about my future right now. I have to worry about the now. And my kids can fo to a state school to start out or pay for it themselves

Quoting Anonymous 7:

Quoting Anonymous 1: 2 decades younger. If my kids want to go out of state they can pay for it
Like i did. And my dh wouldn't get social security he would ssdi which is different. And i will worry about that later. I cant worry about the future until i get the present straighten out.

Quoting Anonymous 7:

Quoting Anonymous 7:

Quoting Anonymous 7:

sonnyswoman75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:44 PM
Did you file electronically?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't know what is delaying my taxes. No eic or ectc. So i dont know.

Quoting sonnyswoman75: I know your pain. I am behind on bills too because I lost my job in December. I finally got a new one as a cab driver but that isn't paying with no one going out in this crappy weather. I won't be getting my income tax refund until late February because of EIC.
mammakittykat
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:47 PM
I pay my car payment every 2 weeks. But what I do is split my monthly car payment in half.

Quoting rockymtngirl: You pay your car payment twice a month? That is odd. It sounds like you've blown your credit with the cc's.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:51 PM
Exactly

Quoting SnowKittyDemon: Most are understanding if you’re up front about it and keep them updated and show effort to catch up.
I assume they told the landlord the predicament as soon as they knew and made a plan to catch up, which OP is keeping. If they wrote it out, it’s enforceable.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

So you are behind on rent?  What kind of landlord is ok with the tenants not paying rent on time? I was under the impression you had to pay or face eviction.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:51 PM
Yes over a week ago

Quoting sonnyswoman75: Did you file electronically?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't know what is delaying my taxes. No eic or ectc. So i dont know.

Quoting sonnyswoman75: I know your pain. I am behind on bills too because I lost my job in December. I finally got a new one as a cab driver but that isn't paying with no one going out in this crappy weather. I won't be getting my income tax refund until late February because of EIC.
jules2boys
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:57 PM

You'll eventually get caught up but perhaps with penalties for being late on things. 

Now you know you need to put some money aside when the weather is better and he's working more to cover times like these.  This is where the phrase 'saving for a rainy day' comes to mind.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)