Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are SAHM'S shunned?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Seriously, why is it wrong to want this type of life?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 2:25 PM
Replies (121-130):
MountainMomma3
by Sound of Madness on Feb. 9, 2018 at 3:58 PM

I think that shit only really happens here in MC.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 3:59 PM

I am not casting judgement here.  I am sharing my opinion.  Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I am the one that was told I was going to die with just my job and money.  I'm the one that was made to feel guilty for sending my child to childcare while I work. 

You women are clueless.

Quoting Anonymous 25: You can be a hard working, motivated, and loving mother without having employment. Now it seems your judgement is because you're feeling judged. That's the point, we all live our lives differently but it doesn't make anyone's life better than or worse because of it.
Quoting Anonymous 9:

I don't do what I do for the money.  And while I love my job, my true fullfillment in life comes from my children.  And working allows me to provide them with the best life I can and opportunities I didn't have as a child.  I don't think life is just the way I see it.  Different strokes for different folks.  A lot of people couldn't do what I do.  But I went to school for a long time and worked hard to get to where I am today.  I'm not going to throw that away to stay home when my children do not suffer from my working and absolutely love their childcare providers.  They see me as what I am.  A hard working, motivated, and loving mother. 

Quoting Anonymous 25: Your awesome job that fulfills your life will be so comforting at your side when you die. So will all the money you earned. Lol, another one that thinks life is only the way she sees it. How very limiting, pathetic, and kinda sad.
Quoting Anonymous 9:

A manage a laboratory for a large volume pharmaceutical company.  And I do it well.  But I also chose to educate myself prior to having my 3 children.  Based on my income, I was able to spend time with them after they were born and they moved in to loving homes during the day while I am working.

Quoting Anonymous 22: What do you do for a career?
Quoting Anonymous 9:

In my opinion, I feel like they are wasting their lives.  Especially when they're sitting at home after their kids are in school.  Wouldn't you want better for yourself than to just be a housekeeper, cooker, and taxi driver?  I do.  And that's why I work.  Because I have made something of myself.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Staying home is the norm in my small town. Shute even when the kids are gone the women still stay home, do whatever they want. However I see it all the time here, like women are wasting their lives by being a sahm.

Quoting Anonymous 5: This is the only place where it's an issue. Both of our families were proud that I wanted to stay home. Staying at home is the norm in my area.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:03 PM
Nah, your replies make it clear. You're clueless. Enjoy your happy fulfilled life. My 3 yo wants to hunt for rocks in the backyard now. ✌🏼

Quoting Anonymous 9:

I am not casting judgement here.  I am sharing my opinion.  Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I am the one that was told I was going to die with just my job and money.  I'm the one that was made to feel guilty for sending my child to childcare while I work. 

You women are clueless.

Quoting Anonymous 25: You can be a hard working, motivated, and loving mother without having employment. Now it seems your judgement is because you're feeling judged. That's the point, we all live our lives differently but it doesn't make anyone's life better than or worse because of it.

Quoting Anonymous 9:

I don't do what I do for the money.  And while I love my job, my true fullfillment in life comes from my children.  And working allows me to provide them with the best life I can and opportunities I didn't have as a child.  I don't think life is just the way I see it.  Different strokes for different folks.  A lot of people couldn't do what I do.  But I went to school for a long time and worked hard to get to where I am today.  I'm not going to throw that away to stay home when my children do not suffer from my working and absolutely love their childcare providers.  They see me as what I am.  A hard working, motivated, and loving mother. 

Quoting Anonymous 25: Your awesome job that fulfills your life will be so comforting at your side when you die. So will all the money you earned. Lol, another one that thinks life is only the way she sees it. How very limiting, pathetic, and kinda sad.

Quoting Anonymous 9:

A manage a laboratory for a large volume pharmaceutical company.  And I do it well.  But I also chose to educate myself prior to having my 3 children.  Based on my income, I was able to spend time with them after they were born and they moved in to loving homes during the day while I am working.

Quoting Anonymous 9:

In my opinion, I feel like they are wasting their lives.  Especially when they're sitting at home after their kids are in school.  Wouldn't you want better for yourself than to just be a housekeeper, cooker, and taxi driver?  I do.  And that's why I work.  Because I have made something of myself.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Staying home is the norm in my small town. Shute even when the kids are gone the women still stay home, do whatever they want. However I see it all the time here, like women are wasting their lives by being a sahm.

Quoting Anonymous 5: This is the only place where it's an issue. Both of our families were proud that I wanted to stay home. Staying at home is the norm in my area.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:21 PM
Lol! So they are “work at home Mom’s”, because they care for other people’s kids. Caring for just their own kids makes them people who do not work, because you don’t consider that working. That is funny that you think there is a difference between caring for other people’s kids and caring for your own, as far as, one being work and one not work. There is no logic in your thinking.

As far as lazy SAHMs, there are also lazy working Moms. Some jobs away from home are not that hard, and some people do not do their jobs away from home well. Why not disrespect all lazy people instead of making the distinction that you judge lazy SAHMs?

Quoting Anonymous 9:

There is a difference between a SAHM and a WAHM.  I use a WAHM for my childcare.  And no, I do not judge her.  Nor do I judge every SAHM.  I judge the lazy SAHMs.

Quoting Anonymous 27: Do you look down on the people who provide “loving homes” for your kids while you are at work? If not, why are you judging people the take care of their own kids in loving homes both day and night?

Quoting Anonymous 9:

Quoting Anonymous 9:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Please, they are not shunned.  they are put on pedestals while us working moms are made to feel like we don't love our kids just because we want or need to work.  

Carmel63
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:25 PM

I have never known a SAHM to be shunned.  Most of the moms in my town were SAHM mothers at onetime.  

PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:26 PM

I've never been shunned.  I was the oldest mom in the group until my kid was in middle school and we put her in private school.  Amazing, all the parents were my age.  And there were a lot of stay at home moms too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Right? It's amazing how many high level working women spend their days on this site. I wonder how their employers would feel about them using their time to be online instead of working.

Quoting Anonymous 27: Lol! So they are “work at home Mom’s”, because they care for other people’s kids. Caring for just their own kids makes them people who do not work, because you don’t consider that working. That is funny that you think there is a difference between caring for other people’s kids and caring for your own, as far as, one being work and one not work. There is no logic in your thinking.

As far as lazy SAHMs, there are also lazy working Moms. Some jobs away from home are not that hard, and some people do not do their jobs away from home well. Why not disrespect all lazy people instead of making the distinction that you judge lazy SAHMs?

Quoting Anonymous 9:

There is a difference between a SAHM and a WAHM.  I use a WAHM for my childcare.  And no, I do not judge her.  Nor do I judge every SAHM.  I judge the lazy SAHMs.

Quoting Anonymous 27: Do you look down on the people who provide “loving homes” for your kids while you are at work? If not, why are you judging people the take care of their own kids in loving homes both day and night?

Quoting Anonymous 9:

Quoting Anonymous 9:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:27 PM
You're a saint! Lol I wouldn't have done it a day let alone a week or year! No way.

Quoting Anonymous 7: I have a really hard time with confrontation so for like a year I actually did watch a neighbor lady’s kid for free. He was REALLY misbehaved though, he made me so unhappy. Finally I knew that I just HAD to tell his mom that I was done. She freaked. I mean, it was bad. She started screaming and saying that I was a bad mom. I had just been good enough to watch her child but whatever...grrr!!

Quoting Anonymous 21: Yep, I've had "friends" get pissed when I wouldn't regularly watch their child for free, for like 8hrs a day and fed them with my own food. Girl get out. I'm not friends with her anymore. A neighbor in our community acted all sour because I wouldn't take responsibility for her kindergartner getting on the bus in the mornings and in the event of a delay. Wtf lady, I have 4 kids to worry about already and I'm not trying to be responsible for someone else's kid every morning, I already do that with the sks! 😆

Quoting Anonymous 7: This is the only place I’ve been accepted for staying home lol. In real life I’m the only sahm around, no one understands it. People see me as lazy, a mooch, they judge me. I’ve had randos leave applications on my doorstep, it’s ridiculous. The few that have said they understand try to use me, they’re working moms who want me to give them free childcare. It’s pretty fucking infuriating.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The point is.....Most SAHM'S do not sit around all day like, everyone seems to believe.

Quoting Anonymous 9:

I work full time.  I also run errands (doesn't everyone have to do this?  Not just stay at home mom's?), volunteer, meal plan, cook, clean, transport children to and from practice, do homework, ect... So what's your point?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

You're assuming that all they do is sit around when the kids are at school. Most volunteer and there is also errands to run, meals to plan and cook. I'm really big on volunteering! and to be honest our community's rely on them much, much more then anyone thinks about.

Quoting Anonymous 9:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)