Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone live on 3 acres or over ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

Is it hard to manage ?

Do you landscape it all or leave a lot of it wilderness?

Do you get more bugs than people who live in the city ?

Does it cost you a lot of money per year, or nothing?

Is there anything that could be scary or worrisome that I am not thinking of?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:20 PM
We only have to worry about bears
LovingThisLifex
by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:22 PM
I have before. We just mowed the acre around the house, the rest was maintenance every summer, but nothing dramatic. Field mice some, but nothing a good barn cat & protective dog couldn't handle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM
We have 4 acres.

Yes, it’s a lot of work. We have an acre of lawn, everything else requires weed management. We dedicate at least one weekend every Spring and Fall to weed management and pruning. We have horses so it’s about an hour every day cleaning stalls and their paddocks.
djsmommy13
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:24 PM
It really depends. Like what do you want to do with the property? Do you have animals? Is it forest or fields?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:25 PM

How old do you think a kid would have to be to clean stalls/paddocks for one horse?

Quoting Anonymous 3: We have 4 acres. Yes, it’s a lot of work. We have an acre of lawn, everything else requires weed management. We dedicate at least one weekend every Spring and Fall to weed management and pruning. We have horses so it’s about an hour every day cleaning stalls and their paddocks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM

I just want some big animals. One cow, and one horse. Maybe a sheep. 

The house we're looking at is 3 acres, with a lot of trees. Kind of like this, but a huge open area also.

Image result for arkansas forest

Quoting djsmommy13: It really depends. Like what do you want to do with the property? Do you have animals? Is it forest or fields?

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM
We had two acres but half of was a pond & it was still too much for us. Property taxes are usually higher & where we were, we had a lot of snakes because all of the property around us was wooded. We’re on an acre now & it’s perfect for us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM
We do. Most of it is a field so we just have to cut the tall grasses. We keep the yard area, closer around our house, landscaped. We hired a landscaper to plant shrubs and such for us, so it was not a lot of work for us beyond pulling weeds and trimming. Our trees are behind the field so not a lot of bugs. The closer you are to woods, the more insects and critters you will get. Deer is a problem here, though. We get tons of deer poop in our yard. Cost of living is low here, so property is very reasonable. Our old property had tons of trees and picking up fall leaves took hours every week.
VickyJoJo
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM

I live on 2.5 so not quite your criteria.  But most of my property is woods with less than an acre being lawn/grass.  It is a lot of work (especially clearing leaves) but I sometimes hire a lawn service and don't find it terribly expensive

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:30 PM
My son started cleaning stalls with me when he was 3. He is 10 now and could clean them but I’m very particular with the way I like the stalls cleaned and how the shavings are laid.

One horse is a very lonely horse. Dogs are ok being the only dog in a family, but horses don’t do well being the only horse.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

How old do you think a kid would have to be to clean stalls/paddocks for one horse?

Quoting Anonymous 3: We have 4 acres.

Yes, it’s a lot of work. We have an acre of lawn, everything else requires weed management. We dedicate at least one weekend every Spring and Fall to weed management and pruning. We have horses so it’s about an hour every day cleaning stalls and their paddocks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)