Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Umm... okay then.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
I have a 3 year old in my class that is reading well enough that I can let him read to his classmates and he can read a whole book without help. Nothing like too complicated. But the easy reader kindergarten books and stuff like that.

I was talking to his mom and told her I was really impressed with him, that it shows she has done a lot to work with him. And I know she’s a single parent and that’s not easy.

She laughed and said “I wish I could take the credit. It’s all self taught. I just put reading games on his iPad and let him go.”

I don’t know why. But that really disappointed me.

Is every child this day and age being raised by electronics?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:22 PM
That is kind of sad. 😞 I guess some kids are really on their own.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM
Sadly, yes.
peanutsmommy1
Sadly, yes.
peanutsmommy1
Sadly, yes.
MeaganP
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:24 PM
4 moms liked this
At least he can read and it's not cartoons
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:26 PM
I know. It just makes me sad. Here I was thinking at least one of my kids had a great Parent at home. But nope. She’s letting an iPad raise him.

Quoting Anonymous 2: That is kind of sad. 😞 I guess some kids are really on their own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM
I agree.

Quoting shell3m: That is sad. My boys know all that stuff but it because I taught them. Everything can be a shape, color, or number. They loved it.
kcangel63
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM
My 2nd was self taught at 3. However, it wasn’t with electronics. We read to her a lot, and her bigger sister was homeschooling. It was a combination of things, but we weren’t actively “working with her” with reading. Her preschool teacher told us how impressed she was with her reading and I didn’t know she could read because she never would around me.
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:29 PM

That's sad. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:32 PM

My DD was reading really well at that age and most of it was self taught as well.  I just left the stuff that promoted reading lying around the house and let her have accesss to "Tad" (Leapfrog Talking Letter's Factory DVD) whenever she wanted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)