Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Umm... okay then.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have a 3 year old in my class that is reading well enough that I can let him read to his classmates and he can read a whole book without help. Nothing like too complicated. But the easy reader kindergarten books and stuff like that.

I was talking to his mom and told her I was really impressed with him, that it shows she has done a lot to work with him. And I know she’s a single parent and that’s not easy.

She laughed and said “I wish I could take the credit. It’s all self taught. I just put reading games on his iPad and let him go.”

I don’t know why. But that really disappointed me.

Is every child this day and age being raised by electronics?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 4:20 PM
Replies (41-48):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:25 PM
My 3yr old read very well and I taught her. I did use DVDs, though, but we watched together.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:28 PM

unfortunately, yes....

been teaching 30 years... it is sad what technology is actually doing to kids.

HOT4TCHR
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:32 PM

For those of you in the greater NY area, yes that was the sound of my head exploding.

OP...do you know NOTHING about early literacy???  

*sigh*

Okay, so here's some basics.  This is not opinion.  This is stuff you've probably already read...Piaget and stuff.

1.  A 3yo being able to read is in no way evidence that anyone has "worked" with him.  If the child was not yet ready to read, then no amount of "work" would make him ready.  Some children aren't ready to read until 6 or 7.  No amount of "work" will speed that up.  It's developmental.

2.  When you see a 3yo who reads (not just recognizing sight words but applying decoding strategies) then s/he is unusual, but is not necessarily smarter than his or her peers.  Early reading is not the sign of higher intelligence that many people assume it is.  And it is definitely not an indicator of future academic success.

3.  Children who read very early often are self taught to some degree...some to a very large degree.  And it doesn't matter if their exposure is by parents reading to them, using workbooks with them, or through environmental print, or by electronics.  These are kids with a talent or a knack for it.  They don't need much exposure to be able to make intuitive leaps.  Hell...I had a kid one year who didn't just read...she read in cursive too!  Mom said she just picked it up...she was never taught.

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:49 PM
MY kids are adults. I’m sure they do all 3.

Quoting Talkingheads: So they never watched TV or used a computer or played video games. Stop being a judgemental twat

Quoting Anonymous 1: I’m almost certain they get more screen time than I do.

They are 19, 22, and 25.

Quoting Talkingheads: Letting him play reading games does not mean she isn't raising him or not a good parent. Do your children have any kind of screen time? If yes then stop being a hypocrite and not let a screen raise your kid.

See how ridiculous that is

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know. It just makes me sad. Here I was thinking at least one of my kids had a great Parent at home. But nope. She’s letting an iPad raise him.

Quoting Anonymous 2: That is kind of sad. 😞 I guess some kids are really on their own.
ShesSoUnusual
by Cat on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:12 PM

We used some apps to help us with our daughter, but our situation is different. It wasn't lazy parenting, it was utilizing technology to help us with our Autistic child. 

But I cannot fathom just throwing an electronic at them and letting it raise my child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:21 PM
when my 5 yr old was 3 she was counting in the shopping cart. A woman behind us told her that she can count really well and who taught her how to count? She looked this woman in the eyes and with a completely straight face my dd goes "youtube". Dd was only on the tablet for an hour a day. I worked really hard with her on her numbers and colors and she gave all the credit to youtube.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM

New age stuff and it's taught him an ability to read at the level he is now.

I don't see the issue.

LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:25 PM
Some kids don't need as much direction. Is the kid happy? Healthy? Obviously intelligent. Giving kids an iPad doesn't equal being raised by electronics.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)