Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did you...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Start getting your child to do their own laundry?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
ChildOfTheLight
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM
11/12

ETA: everyone helps fold and put away; even the 6 yo. They help gather it and put it into the washer or move it from washer to dryer from the time they can walk and help. They aren’t expected to be fully responsible for all their clothing until 11/12.
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM
I can’t remember. Maybe 10 or 11?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM
As soon as they can reach the knobs, around 7-8, they start learning. I'd still do a load for them occasionally until about 10-12. Then they're on their own.
eheart18
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM
Mine are 14, 9, and 6, and they all help doing it. All our laundry gets washed together.
hburnette3
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:31 PM
I don't know. I'll let you know when she starts.

She hangs shirts up to dry.

She has other choirs she does.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:31 PM

They started helping around 4, they could toss stuff in the washer or put the dryer sheets in. Folding around 7. Start-to-finish by 13. 

I wasn't going to raise those annoying men who still need someone to wash their underwear for them. 

CheerioHolder
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:32 PM
I let them help when they were toddlers and retouched on it actually showing them how to do it at four. Now (at almost 5 and 8) doing the laundry is something that they do only for an allowance.
Hoppers33
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:33 PM
They could do it as soon as they could reach the knobs, but like others said, it's easier to do it myself. If I'm already doing it, it's a waste of water and time to make the kids do a totally separate load.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 9, 2018 at 5:34 PM

well.... dd1 started sorting when she was around 2

washing............ I just did it. Full loads only.  No way was a kid going to throw in and wash one pair of jeans. They figured out their own when they went to college.

franciaanya
by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:12 PM

8. The only thing she doesn't do is fold clothes but I do have her fold towels. They're easier. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)