Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trump proposes an overhaul to food stamps

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 310 Replies

Think of it as Blue Apron for food stamp recipients.

That's how Budget Director Mick Mulvaney described the Trump administration's proposal to replace nearly half of poor Americans' monthly cash benefits with a box of food. It would affect households that receive at least $90 a month in food stamps, or roughly 38 million people.

"USDA America's Harvest Box is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is homegrown by American farmers and producers," said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue in a statement. "It maintains the same level of food value as SNAP [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] participants currently receive, provides states flexibility in administering the program, and is responsible to the taxpayers."

Part of the president's fiscal 2019 budget blueprint, the idea immediately sparked concerns and questions among consumer advocates and food retailers. They feared it would upend a much-needed benefit for more than 80% of those in the program.
Related: Why Trump's budget proposal is too optimistic on deficits

Here's how it would work:

Instead of receiving all their food stamp funds, households would get a box of food that the government describes as nutritious and 100% grown and produced in the U.S.

The so-called USDA America's Harvest Box would contain items such as shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans, canned meat, poultry or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables. The box would be valued at about half of the SNAP recipient's monthly benefit. The remainder of their benefits would be given to them on electronic benefit cards, as before.

The administration didn't detail exactly how families would receive the food boxes, saying states could distribute them through existing infrastructure, partnerships or directly to residences through delivery services.

The proposal would save nearly $130 billion over 10 years, as well as improve the nutritional value of the program and reduce the potential for fraud, according to the administration.

Consumer advocates, however, questioned whether the federal government could save that much money by purchasing and distributing food on its own. Also, they were concerned that families would not know what food they would get in advance nor have any choice regarding what they receive. Plus, it could be difficult for families to pick up the box, especially if they don't have a car.

+++++++++++++++
I can’t be the only one who sees the items in the box as crap and something that would further the obesity rate.

Granted we are not on food stamps but as I’m looking over the items the want to include I see things that they’ve been telling us isn’t all that healthy

Like juice
Canned veggies
Canned fruit
Canned meats <———don’t those all contain lots of salt

Plus in my family we don’t eat cereal or drink milk, those would be a total waste.

So let’s waste even more money by giving people no choice in the items they eat and lets give them unhealthy options on top of it rather than let them chose their own foods.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 9:56 AM
8 moms liked this
Isn’t that what welfare use to be? You’d go get your government cheese etc
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM
4 moms liked this
Lets mail out a bunch of food that no one eats and is going to get thrown away...but say we are saving money and not just wasting money
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM
8 moms liked this
Canned meat.....i just gagged
Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 9:58 AM
19 moms liked this

I've always kind of subscribed to the idea that beggars can't be choosers.  And seeing on here all the people on food stamps who defend their choice to buy soda, birthday cakes, and total junk with them - overall it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

And I HATE Trump.  But this idea has merit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 9:58 AM
I think this is ridiculous. And a man that has notched to deal with hard times should not be dictating how it's handled.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Not a fan. And no, I don't get food stamps.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Canned veggies are not unhealthy at all.  Anything you can't or won't use you give to someone else no biggie.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Well if you don’t think that shaming and dehumanizing the poor is an important national priority, are you even Republican?

littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM
All entitlements need overhaul but I can’t totally get on board with this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
And we’ve evolved since then

Again though I can see a ton of wasted food. Why should we hand someone milk that won’t drink it? Why should we give low income people canned veggies and fruit that lack the nutrients of fresh or even frozen? Why should we make them take canned meats that are preserved with a ton of salt? That’s not helping, that’s creating long term problems that we will have to pay for. We know that poor eating habits lead to health problems so why propose a box that contributes to poor eating habits?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Isn’t that what welfare use to be? You’d go get your government cheese etc
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)