Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising minimum wage to $15hr

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 240 Replies
This is currently a big thing, once again in my area. My mom says it was on the news in one of the bigger towns that people are talking about it. Minimum wage in my state is $7.25hr.

I wouldn't see an issue with it being raised to $10hr but i do not think it should be $15hr.

I don't think people realize what would have to happen to make this possible. We live in a very locl area. So if it was raised so would the cost of living. So it really wouldn't help anyone. The money would have to come from somewhere. Fast food, prices would go up to cover the increase in wages.

I do see an issues with what some of the places around here pay. there are companies, factories that only pay minimum wage. I think that is wrong. Factories should pay more than minimum wage.

Another thing i don't think people take into consideration. A lot of minimum wage workers in my state receive welfare. If the payrate went up to $15hr. They would lose their food stamps, Medicaid, government housing ect.

Plus they would have to raise everyone pay. My dh makes $17hr. He is a skilled worker. A fast food worker can't make $2hr less than a skilled worker. I make $10hr and i have an education.

Opinions?

Fyi, the stupid auto correct changed it. I don't type minimum wage often so it changed it to medium.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NotACatfish.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:42 AM
Are you talking about minimum wage? The minimum wage should reflect the minimum COL for the area.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:43 AM
*minimum
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:44 AM
4 moms liked this
When minimum wage goes up, companies lay off workers.
Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:44 AM

Well, ours is going up, but right now, our minimum wage is around $10 an hour.  We don't have "servers wages" so tipped employees make the same amount.

ilovemykids323
by on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

I think that jobs will be taken over by computers/robots anyway... look at walmart. how many self check outs are starting to come in... 1 "cashier" for about 10 self check outs. yea they may raise minimum wage but I think more people willl be in need of jobs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I make almost $13 an hour and I have an education. But I made a conscious choice to do so. My job flexibility by far outweighs any disadvantages. I'm a single mom, not on welfare, and we make it work. My daughter has everything she needs and then some.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Not everyone can afford an education or are cut for the school setting. Mim wage does need to be raised. I agree not to $15 but my state to is at $7.25 no one can get ahead at that pay. 

My son has a learning disability he doesn't qualify for help as his disability is on the low end but it causes major issues in a school setting. What is he do the rest of his life? He took a job in fast food now what? He has been there a year with no raise. He is looking for other work but with a high school diploma and a learning disability what chance in life does he have now. 

Yes, he tried trade school and the math part he kept failing at no matter the tutors. DS cannot grasp math but his English and other skills are off the charts.

We are scared and worried about him.

Quoting Anonymous 1: This is currently a big thing, once again in my area. My mom says it was on the news in one of the bigger towns that people are talking about it. Medium wage in my state is $7.25hr. I wouldn't see an issue with it being raised to $10hr but i do not think it should be $15hr. I don't think people realize what would have to happen to make this possible. We live in a very locl area. So if it was raised so would the cost of living. So it really wouldn't help anyone. The money would have to come from somewhere. Fast food, prices would go up to cover the increase in wages. I do see an issues with what some of the places around here pay. there are companies, factories that only pay medium wage. I think that is wrong. Factories should pay more than medium wage. Another thing i don't think people take into consideration. A lot of medium wage workers in my state receive welfare. If the payrate went up to $15hr. They would lose their food stamps, Medicaid, government housing ect. Plus they would have to raise everyone pay. My dh makes $17hr. He is a skilled worker. A fast food worker can't make $2hr less than a skilled worker. I make $10hr and i have an education. Opinions?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM
5 moms liked this

Insulting to people who worked for the 15+/hour. 

I worked myself up from 13/hour to 18/hour. It took me years to do it. 

KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:51 AM
4 moms liked this

I agree.  Minimum is just that - the min amount you can make.  Ifyou work hard, then you should get raises. 

I am sorry, but a 16 yo without any experience or even a 25 year old without a lick of experience shoudln't be paid $15/hr.  That is insane!!!!!      So, if they are there a year or 2, they think they should get a raise to $20?  It is a horrible slippery slope.  

You are right that the increase in pay will have to be compensated somewhere and it will be passed onto the customers.  Fast food places have razor thin profit margins, so they will have to increase prices, hirer fewer workers, sacrfiice service or quality.  There will be a price to be paid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
In my state 4 yrs of college is covered by the state. The state lottery pays for it. So not being able to afford it isn't a good excuse. And i agree it should go up to $10hr but i want to add the col here is cheap. you can buy a 3 bed home for like $65k-70k . You can rent a decent 3 bed home in a good area for between $400-500 a month

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Not everyone can afford an education or are cut for the school setting. Mim wage does need to be raised. I agree not to $15 but my state to is at $7.25 no one can get ahead at that pay. 

My son has a learning disability he doesn't qualify for help as his disability is on the low end but it causes major issues in a school setting. What is he do the rest of his life? He took a job in fast food now what? He has been there a year with no raise. He is looking for other work but with a high school diploma and a learning disability what chance in life does he have now. 

Yes, he tried trade school and the math part he kept failing at no matter the tutors. DS cannot grasp math but his English and other skills are off the charts.

We are scared and worried about him.

Quoting Anonymous 1: This is currently a big thing, once again in my area. My mom says it was on the news in one of the bigger towns that people are talking about it. Medium wage in my state is $7.25hr.

I wouldn't see an issue with it being raised to $10hr but i do not think it should be $15hr.

I don't think people realize what would have to happen to make this possible. We live in a very locl area. So if it was raised so would the cost of living. So it really wouldn't help anyone. The money would have to come from somewhere. Fast food, prices would go up to cover the increase in wages.

I do see an issues with what some of the places around here pay. there are companies, factories that only pay medium wage. I think that is wrong. Factories should pay more than medium wage.

Another thing i don't think people take into consideration. A lot of medium wage workers in my state receive welfare. If the payrate went up to $15hr. They would lose their food stamps, Medicaid, government housing ect.

Plus they would have to raise everyone pay. My dh makes $17hr. He is a skilled worker. A fast food worker can't make $2hr less than a skilled worker. I make $10hr and i have an education.

Opinions?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)