Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lady, her s*** is in the shed.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

On Saturday, I told the kids to clean their rooms so I could do a deep cleaning in there. I told them that if they didnt have their rooms clean by the time I was done with the bottom floor and my bedroom I would be taking away whatever was on the floor. the entire time I was doing the rest of the house I could hear ds telling my sd (his half-sister) to pick the toys up. I never heard her respond. When I got back to their rooms, all of my ds's things were picked up and put away, sd's things were all over the floor. I told sd to pick up while I went to get the vacuum, she crossed her arms, sat on her bed and refused. I shrugged and went to get a trash bag while I grabbed the vacuum. When I went back again sd was still sitting on her bed and I started picking up her things and putting them in the bag. Thats when she started screaming that I wasnt being fair, sorry kiddo, I gave you an hour to clean your room so I could deep clean in there, these have always been the consequences. She then started saying that her mom doesn't make her clean up.

SO, last night her mom called and they were talking and sd told her mom that I threw away all her things. sd handed the phone to me and her mom started yelling. I couldn't get a word in edgewise until I snapped her name at her and told her sd's things were in the shed and when she learns to keep things picked up she can have it back.

sd is almost 8....is this attitude normal? good lord, she never used to act like this before. Either it's an age thing or her moms becoming one of THOSE people again and we might have to put a stop to visitation yet again.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM
Replies (171-177):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 10:37 PM

Totally normal with the attitute. I do the same to my girls. If they don't clean it up and pick it up, or at least have shown an effort to do so, they out to the garage it goes.

propswife
by on Feb. 15, 2018 at 3:30 AM

Just for jollies, next time you want her to clean the room, try telling her one task to do and have her come get you to check it.  Example, pick up the toys on the floor and put them back in the toy box or on the shelf.  Once that is done, tell her it is time to get all of the dirty clothes into the hamper.  If there are too many toys, pick a group, put away all of the Barbies and their clothes.  When that is done, put away all of the games.  Just give one task at a time and check the progress before you give the next one.  I have a DS with ADD and he is incapable of starting a project like cleaning the playroom when he isn't on his meds.  The more wide open the task, the harder it is to begin.  If I give him something specific like put away the video games, and when he says he's done I tell him to put away all the legos, one thing at a time and he is fine.  He's in middle school so I don't have to check to see if he did it, just give him something specific to do.  I will admit that he sometimes wanders off and reads a book somewhere else or goes to take a nap instead of cleaning because he just doesn't like to do it, but that is being a teenager.  Maybe your SD has a problem with the broad instruction and doesn't know how to express it and it comes across as defiance.  We really thought that DS was being defiant until I also noticed that he couldn't remember 3 or 4 tasks at a time like grab your shoes, put the chairs in the car and fill your water bottle.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:14 AM

The rule in my house is you clean it up, if you don't it's mine and you can earn it back. IDC who it is. My daughter, nieces or nephews, you took it out please put it away.

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:18 AM
Some kids are just stubborn. My dad put my stuff on the lawn. I was a pain in the rear.

She can earn them back by keeping her room clean and listening the first time. You gave her a second warning. This is all on her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Feb. 15, 2018 at 6:25 AM
My husband actually throws the stuff away so there is that. When I was a kid if our rooms stayed messy the bag lady would come take our stuff aka my mom would come in and put everything in trash bags and it would disapear for between a cpl weeks and a month depending on age etc. She only did it a few times before we figured out how to keep our stuff up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:34 AM
Questions who has custody dad or mom. If dad then mom needs only supervised for a long while. Also do they share a room?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2018 at 10:33 AM
Dh and I have custody.

No they don't share a room.

Quoting Anonymous 48: Questions who has custody dad or mom. If dad then mom needs only supervised for a long while. Also do they share a room?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)