Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So tired of this minimum wage argument. YES, it WAS meant to be a living wage people!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 164 Replies
5 moms liked this

Americans, the majority, are so freaking stupid these days. Once upon a time, the masses fought for what was right. Today, we believe anything and just go with it.

Franklin Roosevelt:

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

President Roosevelt criticized businesses paying low wages to employees during his 1933 statement on the National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA). NIRA allowed the government to regulate business to combat deflation and stimulate a better economic situation.

Read Full Article Here 5 Noteworthy Quotes About First U.S. Minimum Wage | Newsmax.com

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

okay rooseevelt made the min wage 25 cents an hour in 1938..

average bakery worker made 51 cents an hour

so ... he gauged the min wage was half that of a bakery workers... shoe makers... skilled workers.

per inflation calculators that .25 cents is a modern day equivalent of 4,25

more hmmm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:43 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:43 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:44 PM

what?

Quoting mmm2015:

so ... he gauged the min wage was half that of a bakery workers... shoe makers... skilled workers.

more hmmm

mewebb82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:47 PM
5 moms liked this
That is only the pay equivalency with inflation. If you also factor in the cost of living equivalency with inflation, it will make a huge difference in your argument.

Quoting mmm2015:

more hmmm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not an idiot, but I'm so confused by your post.

Doesn't "inflation" cover things like cost of living? I thought they were the same thing, inflation is the increasing cost of living.

Quoting mewebb82: That is only the pay equivalency with inflation. If you also factor in the cost of living equivalency with inflation, it will make a huge difference in your argument.
Quoting mmm2015:

more hmmm

NotACatfish.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:56 PM
7 moms liked this
Don’t talk logic to people who believe those serving food, cleaning up after them, etc., don’t deserve a living wage. These are jobs someone has to do. Those who complain about the minimum wage being raised to resemble COL are the same ones who bitch about poor people on food stamps, Medicaid, etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 2:01 PM
5 moms liked this
Roosevelt said lots of stuff. That doesn’t mean it translated to his actions. His $0.25 minimum wage didn’t support a family or even a single person any more than the minimum wage does now. No one in this country was meant to be able to live on that ever. I do think people deserve to be paid fairly so that they can live on their wage but I don’t think you should get paid more to work at McDonald’s then you would as a paramedic or even in some cases a teacher. There’s got to be somewhere between the two that is the solution to this problem. I also have some concern that people are going to lose benefits, hours, or jobs (because no company is going to let whatever the solution is affect their bottom line), but it is important that the minimum wage be higher than it is now for sure ( significantly depending on where you are). Honestly $15 an hour isn’t going to do anything for you if you live in a place like San Francisco. So there are places where the change needs to be deeper than that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 2:03 PM

And there seems to be a concentration of them on this site.

I don't care if I have to pay more for goods. I'd rather know all those honest hard working people are paid fairly. Yes, even a burger flipper deserves that. No one cares in this country anymore. Even the average Joe supports corporate America more than the average Joe.

Quoting NotACatfish.: Don’t talk logic to people who believe those serving food, cleaning up after them, etc., don’t deserve a living wage. These are jobs someone has to do. Those who complain about the minimum wage being raised to resemble COL are the same ones who bitch about poor people on food stamps, Medicaid, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I disagree.

Cost of living was FAR lower.

Back in the 70's, my father got a low paying job working for welfare, he was able to buy a home with that salary, and begin raising a family.

My grandfather was an engraver, he retired early in his early 60's.

A person working as a case aid for SSI today would NEVER be able to buy a home today. They wouldn't even be able to feed themselves.

And what engraver retires early today? Not even a white collar professional can retire early let alone a tradesmen.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Roosevelt said lots of stuff. That doesn’t mean it translated to his actions. His $0.25 minimum wage didn’t support a family or even a single person any more than the minimum wage does now. No one in this country was meant to be able to live on that ever. I do think people deserve to be paid fairly so that they can live on their wage but I don’t think you should get paid more to work at McDonald’s then you would as a paramedic or even in some cases a teacher. There’s got to be somewhere between the two that is the solution to this problem. I also have some concern that people are going to lose benefits, hours, or jobs (because no company is going to let whatever the solution is affect their bottom line), but it is important that the minimum wage be higher than it is now for sure ( significantly depending on where you are). Honestly $15 an hour isn’t going to do anything for you if you live in a place like San Francisco. So there are places where the change needs to be deeper than that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)