Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So tired of this minimum wage argument. YES, it WAS meant to be a living wage people!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Americans, the majority, are so freaking stupid these days. Once upon a time, the masses fought for what was right. Today, we believe anything and just go with it.

Franklin Roosevelt:

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

President Roosevelt criticized businesses paying low wages to employees during his 1933 statement on the National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA). NIRA allowed the government to regulate business to combat deflation and stimulate a better economic situation.

Read Full Article Here 5 Noteworthy Quotes About First U.S. Minimum Wage | Newsmax.com

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM
Replies (161-164):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 6:57 PM
Sorry, but a burger flipper doesn’t deserve $15 an hour. I’m for raising the minimum wage, maybe to $9 an hour (and yes my husband and I lived off that with two kids, so it is a liveable wage) but some of these pay arguments are ridiculous.
kiddycat73
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 7:03 PM
30 years ago minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. Of course you could live well off of $8 an hour. You could not live well off of $3.35.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

30 years ago a 2 bedroom apt. was no more than $525 a month and now those same apts. are $1200 a month. 30 years ago  you could make $8 an hour, full time and get good benefits, afford your rent and food. Now days you need to make 3 times that amount just to survive, and these days health insurance is expensive to the point where people have to go without.

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 7:07 PM
When i started out i could live on it..as a single person sharing an apartment with a roommate. I do believe in COL raises but too much just causes inflation in my mind. I think if anything rent control and lower housing costs would help.
niceandhappy
by Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 7:41 PM

And they will be paying the higher costs, too. 

Quoting Anonymous 23: Wait. Your whole argument is you want people to be able to afford to live....but you won't see them losing their jobs as a problem???
Quoting Anonymous 1:

I don't see that as a problem. Business will close, people will lose that job. But things will get much better once it all evens out.

Quoting Anonymous 18: Ok. While I get your point, the issue is that most people wouldn’t spend more money on things they are used to being cheap. For instance: let’s say I can get a cheeseburger at McDonalds for $1.25 and any size soda for $1. So $2.25. If they change the amounts they pay people the burger will be like $4, and the drink probably $3.50. So I stop going there because I can’t afford it and I’m not the only person who says screw it and walks out. Now they have to close branches and now those people aren’t making anything let alone a living wage. I’ve seen it here in my area with Subway. It used to be you could get a meatball foot long for $5, it was always that cost. Now it’s $7.50 for a meatball sub. I’d walk by and it’d be packed and now I walk by no ones in there. Every sandwich went up, and now I heard they are considering closing some of them, the franchise owners can’t afford to stay in business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)