Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal for a pediatrician?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies
Finally got insurance sorted out so I took my 10 year old DD to the pediatrician, just for a check-up. First time going to this pediatrician. One of the things the doctor did was look at my DD’s vagina and anus. I figured that part may be typical for a girl of this age. The rest of the visit seemed a little odd, which is what made me question everything. The doctor spent about an hour with us, asking my DD questions. She was asking my DD about drugs, asked her if her friends all did something wrong would she do it too, talked to her pretty in depth about sexting, asked her if she ever has nightmares and then asked her specific questions about the nightmares. The last part of our conversation was about school, and the things DD struggles with in school. I explained to the doctor that there are some concerns, especially in regards to math, and that the teachers and I both notice issues with attention and retention, but that we’re aware and working on it. The doctor asked me if anyone in the family has ever been diagnosed with ADHD, and I said that I have ADHD. Doctor asked if DD has ever been diagnosed with ADHD, and I explained that no, she hasn’t. This doctor immediately started talking to me about medication for DD. I basically said no thank you and wrapped up the conversation. The doctor said to just let her know if I decide to try DD on medication.

Obviously I won’t be taking DD there again, solely based on the doctor trying to medicate my child after seeing her for 1 hour, and never being diagnosed with ADHD. But now I’m wondering if everything else was out of line. My BFF has a daughter who is exactly one year older than my daughter and she says her DD’s doctor has never asked questions like that.

What’s your experience? Normal doctor’s visit for a girl of this age or not?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanasue31204
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:38 PM
Our pediatrician talks about drug and sex with the kids starting around 11years old. My husband took the boys because they get an exam, our daughter is 6 so haven’t had that yet. I have never dealt with ADHD so I’m not sure about that part but everything else seems normal. Unfortunately kids are getting into bad stuff earlier.
gingerfrog
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:41 PM

My kids aren't 10 yet, but that is not normal, well, it wasn't when I was that age. Those are invasive (some likely trick) questions, and I have never heard of a doctor looking at a girl's vagina and anus at a check-up. We go to a naturopathic pediatrician because we were highly displeased with the local pediatrician with our first daughters first couple of visits when she was a baby. The local ped treated her like cattle. In for only 5 minutes, checked eyes, ears, and that was it. Our naturopathic ped spends an hour with each patient, does not push pharmaceuticals, and answers our questions instead of us answering his.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this
What reasons would this doctor have to ask more questions than "normal"? That sounds like a normal first time intake to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:45 PM

I have a 15 year old son and our pediatrician does ask him questions has conversations with our son about this kind of stuff. So I say its pretty normal. Although every doctor is different. Some are more in depth than others. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:47 PM
None of that seems normal.

And a pill pusher? Run!
RobJar
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like you actually have a very good pediatrician. I wouldn’t change. I’d feel great about the interaction.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:49 PM
Parent fail
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:51 PM
I don't know, my oldest is only 7. It seems weird.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:57 PM
3 moms liked this
All normal until the “lets get this kid on some meds” talk. I expect our pediatrician to go in depth in every aspect of life that could effect my kid’s health. That’s their job.

But talking meds right away like that rubs me the wrong way.
hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:00 PM
Yes they did. Not sure about looking at the vagina but yes about drugs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)