Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sisters Airbnb guest got towed. -UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

My sister just sent me a text. She’s on her way home from work and his pissed she now gets to deal with this She lives about 10 min from me she ha a 2 bed/2 ba condo and she rents a room out on Airbnb. Most guests stay 1-2 weeks. No hiccups at all until now. Well she got a text from her guest his car was towed. She found out the hoa towed it. She knows the parking rules an has been heavily involved with parking enforcement on getting the illegal parking enforced. They have white guest spots that can be used for max 30 days. For some reason her guest got towed. She’s pissed and has emailed the hoa property manager and is waiting to hear why they towed him since he’s only been there a week. Check out is Friday.

In the meantime it’s $160 to get the guys car out. Also he has no car tonight and has to be somewhere about 25 min away and expects her to take him. She’s going to try and get reimbursed from
The hoa but in he meantime he says she needs to pay it tmrw to get it out of impound and needs give him a ride tonight.

What would you do?

My sister has a perfect record with air bmb and if she pays for the guys tow she is going to tell him not to leave negative feedback. Otherwise she is going to not pay anything an send him on his way. She is 99% sure this is an error and that the hoa will hopefully reimburse her.

He has a class tonight and my sister told me she was going to drop him off and he can uber back.

How would you settle this?

UPDATE....HOA said car was wrongfully towed and they will reimburse her. There seems to be some confusion with the parking rules with the property manager. They are going to put in a place a measure/permit system to clearly mark what is guest parking and how long a car has been there.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2018 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:01 PM
My parents' pain in the ass neighbors rent out their Mother-in-law suite on AirBnB and it's a huge hassle for their cul-de-sac. I'm finding it difficult to rustle up a fuck for your sister's perfect rating.
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:08 PM

If your sister doesn't need the condo as a residence, she should either sell it or rent it out on a standard basis instead of going airbnb.  People are buying up available real estate and then turning them into airbnb's and jacking up rental costs all over.  I have zero sympathy for your sister or the dude renting. 

corticosteroid
by on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:11 PM

I like your sister’s solution.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:11 PM
She shouldn't pay crap
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:13 PM
The condo is affordable easily she has owned it for 10 years and has a cheap mortgage. She’s saving up for fertility treatments so she does Airbnb for extra money. I personally have no idea why anyone would stay in one unless it was a long stay and hotel too expensive. Maybe tonight she will determine it’s no longer worth it.

Since my sister lives in the co do she screens people prettty well. Most are IT nerds from
India.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:14 PM
My sister lives in the condo. Not the same as what you are describing.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

If your sister doesn't need the condo as a residence, she should either sell it or rent it out on a standard basis instead of going airbnb.  People are buying up available real estate and then turning them into airbnb's and jacking up rental costs all over.  I have zero sympathy for your sister or the dude renting. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd pay for an Uber both ways.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:23 PM

She should pay for his tow, Uber costs and let future residents know on her page. A lot of HOA's do not allow airbnb rentals... So I hope she had approval from the HOA otherwise they may be cracking down. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If that happened to me, and we use Airbnb frequently I would leave the most scathing review of the user. I would also dispute it with Airbnb, they'd probably either ban her at that point or make them reimburse the costs. We travel 8 months per year, minimally, so there is no excuse for that. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: She shouldn't pay crap

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:27 PM
There’s nothing In the cccr prohibiting this. Also why the hell should she pay anything if he is going to slam her? The hoa errored here it’s likely not her fault. If he’s going to leave negative feedback I would send him on his way. If I’m going to get negative feedback I wouldn’t do shit for this guy

Quoting Anonymous 4:

She should pay for his tow, Uber costs and let future residents know on her page. A lot of HOA's do not allow airbnb rentals... So I hope she had approval from the HOA otherwise they may be cracking down. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)