Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sisters Airbnb guest got towed. -UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sister just sent me a text. She’s on her way home from work and his pissed she now gets to deal with this She lives about 10 min from me she ha a 2 bed/2 ba condo and she rents a room out on Airbnb. Most guests stay 1-2 weeks. No hiccups at all until now. Well she got a text from her guest his car was towed. She found out the hoa towed it. She knows the parking rules an has been heavily involved with parking enforcement on getting the illegal parking enforced. They have white guest spots that can be used for max 30 days. For some reason her guest got towed. She’s pissed and has emailed the hoa property manager and is waiting to hear why they towed him since he’s only been there a week. Check out is Friday.

In the meantime it’s $160 to get the guys car out. Also he has no car tonight and has to be somewhere about 25 min away and expects her to take him. She’s going to try and get reimbursed from
The hoa but in he meantime he says she needs to pay it tmrw to get it out of impound and needs give him a ride tonight.

What would you do?

My sister has a perfect record with air bmb and if she pays for the guys tow she is going to tell him not to leave negative feedback. Otherwise she is going to not pay anything an send him on his way. She is 99% sure this is an error and that the hoa will hopefully reimburse her.

He has a class tonight and my sister told me she was going to drop him off and he can uber back.

How would you settle this?

UPDATE....HOA said car was wrongfully towed and they will reimburse her. There seems to be some confusion with the parking rules with the property manager. They are going to put in a place a measure/permit system to clearly mark what is guest parking and how long a car has been there.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2018 at 8:58 PM
Replies (21-29):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:53 PM

How is this seriously a question? Her paying guest expects parking and his car got towed. She apologizes profusely, gets him a ride to his event and to pick up his car and of course pays the tow and storage fees!  That being said I think Airbnb should not be legal. I’d be pissed to have one near me and inconveniencing me and the rest of the neighbors, property zoning is not set up for this crap. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:56 PM

Our house would sit empty if it were not for Airbnb. If it's banned we will just let people stay there as pet sitters or housesitters. There would be the same amount of people in and out but it would be completely legal even in areas where short term rentals are illegal. 

Quoting Anonymous 7:

How is this seriously a question? Her paying guest expects parking and his car got towed. She apologizes profusely, gets him a ride to his event and to pick up his car and of course pays the tow and storage fees!  That being said I think Airbnb should not be legal. I’d be pissed to have one near me and inconveniencing me and the rest of the neighbors, property zoning is not set up for this crap. 

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:57 PM
Your sister did nothing wrong, but sadly like any business this falls in her. She needs to make it right and deal with her HOA, unless the guy is being a dick and saying he’s going to leave a negative review I would bring it up. She’s basically blackmailing him and that is really wrong.
Rlmama00
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 10:05 PM
Did your sister speak to the tow company to confirm why the vehicle was towed? What if the guest is claiming they were parked in the guest spot, but they were actually in a resident or handicapped space?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 10:13 PM
I use airbnb often. Just went to NOLA. Standard hotel would have run me 200+ a night. Got a beautiful 2bed 2 bath Victorian cottage with a whirlpool tub just blocks from the French quarter for 90 a night

Quoting Anonymous 1: The condo is affordable easily she has owned it for 10 years and has a cheap mortgage. She’s saving up for fertility treatments so she does Airbnb for extra money. I personally have no idea why anyone would stay in one unless it was a long stay and hotel too expensive. Maybe tonight she will determine it’s no longer worth it.

Since my sister lives in the co do she screens people prettty well. Most are IT nerds from
India.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 10:48 PM
Had no idea people hated airbnb so much.
We are going to Nola next month and have decided on an airbnb for the same reason.

Quoting Anonymous 8: I use airbnb often. Just went to NOLA. Standard hotel would have run me 200+ a night. Got a beautiful 2bed 2 bath Victorian cottage with a whirlpool tub just blocks from the French quarter for 90 a night

Quoting Anonymous 1: The condo is affordable easily she has owned it for 10 years and has a cheap mortgage. She’s saving up for fertility treatments so she does Airbnb for extra money. I personally have no idea why anyone would stay in one unless it was a long stay and hotel too expensive. Maybe tonight she will determine it’s no longer worth it.

Since my sister lives in the co do she screens people prettty well. Most are IT nerds from
India.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 11:11 PM
How old are you? I am 51 and I know

A) what Airbnb is

&

B) how to use Google if I don't know what something is.

Quoting quinnsmom715:

ok im,old but wtf is airbnb?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 11:14 PM
Not set up for what? People staying in a house?

Quoting Anonymous 7:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 15, 2018 at 12:55 AM
We had a blast. Make sure you find on that has free parking on the premises. (Its on the select a filter list) and check reviews. Im so glad i did those two things. Parking down there is outrageous. We were able to leave the car and use uber/public transport super easily.

Quoting Anonymous 9: Had no idea people hated airbnb so much.
We are going to Nola next month and have decided on an airbnb for the same reason.

Quoting Anonymous 8: I use airbnb often. Just went to NOLA. Standard hotel would have run me 200+ a night. Got a beautiful 2bed 2 bath Victorian cottage with a whirlpool tub just blocks from the French quarter for 90 a night

India.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)