Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Florida Dept of Children and Families

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:24 PM
  • 81 Replies
Has confirmed that Cruz was autistic and mentally ill.

We need to stop crippling states from confining persons with his disabilities to institutions. Right now, the patient -- even a child can refuse. This should not be.
by on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Was? You don't just stop being autistic and mentally ill
mrsary
by Emerald Member on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:26 PM
Wow!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:27 PM
I doubt all school shooters are autistic or mentally ill.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:28 PM
3 moms liked this
We stopped doing that for a reason. The abuse in those places was unspeakable.

We need to give parents more resources and help, free of charge.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Mental health laws in this country are ridiculous. I have been fighting the system for a year now. I can't force my mentally ill child to take meds, go to therapy, or get any kind of help. While at 14 I can still admit her to a psychiatric facility, they can't force her to take meds or participate in therpay. On the day she turns 15, I no longer can have her committed unless she wants to be. They can't keep her against her will in a few short months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:31 PM

What about the 72 hour hold if she's a danger to herself? 

Quoting Anonymous 4: Mental health laws in this country are ridiculous. I have been fighting the system for a year now. I can't force my mentally ill child to take meds, go to therapy, or get any kind of help. While at 14 I can still admit her to a psychiatric facility, they can't force her to take meds or participate in therpay. On the day she turns 15, I no longer can have her committed unless she wants to be. They can't keep her against her will in a few short months.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this
They should fry his ass.

Then the people that ignore his level of crazy should also be brought up on charges.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:33 PM

Where do we draw the line though? How do we draw the line? I have depression and self harm tendencies. I'm also ASD. I teach. I'm perfectly capable of doing my job (except when I forgot my glasses one day!) Should I be placed in a mental institution? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:35 PM
As long as they act like they're okay, nothing can be done. They are released. I've witnessed it myself. That's how they get out and go do whatever to themselves or others.

I get not wanting to be a zombie (most commonly used excuse that I hear), but I don't think should decide that they don't need medicine because they're okay with with their behavior. Exorcism when that behavior is destructive.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

What about the 72 hour hold if she's a danger to herself? 

Quoting Anonymous 4: Mental health laws in this country are ridiculous. I have been fighting the system for a year now. I can't force my mentally ill child to take meds, go to therapy, or get any kind of help. While at 14 I can still admit her to a psychiatric facility, they can't force her to take meds or participate in therpay. On the day she turns 15, I no longer can have her committed unless she wants to be. They can't keep her against her will in a few short months.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
This would be the situation: The wait list to get the application approved to get on the wait list for assistance is over a decade long. On the bright side, as soon as you get through the wait, the child has aged out of the program (and they don't back date the assistance to when applied or when the application was processed)

Quoting Anonymous 3: We stopped doing that for a reason. The abuse in those places was unspeakable.

We need to give parents more resources and help, free of charge.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)