Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I finally have a boss with backbone!!! Sorry, kinda long once I got ranting.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
I understand that I'm low on the totem pole here. Yes, I work in a daycare. I know, I'm an uneducated, glorified babysitter who needs to keep her opinions to herself. I get it. You all have zero respect for what I do. I'm saying this anyway because I'm happy!

For years we have had a policy, and I don't give a flying fuck if you all agree or not with the policy, THE PARENTS SIGNED THE HANDBOOK THEREFORE THEY AGREED TO THE POLICY!!
Anyway, we have drop off times set from 730 to 9am. Policy says that unless the classroom teacher hears from you before nine, (Drs appointments, dentist appointments, etc.) We assume your child is not coming in and you will be turned away at the door.
So, for the last eighteen months or so, our director has pussy footed around the parents. Don't upset the families. Let them come in when they want. It was an issue. People were coming at 9:30, 10:00, even 10:30! With no consequences. I can't enforce the rule if I'm not being backed up by my boss.
It's gotten to be a very sore subject for me. Again, I don't care what you all think about that.
So, a few weeks ago, the owners found out that the director hadn't been paying for her kids' daycare expenses. She was putting in "paid" and it had been years of not paying. She was fired. My new director was hired from within and one of the teachers got promoted. A teacher who feels the same way that a lot of us do about parents taking advantage. Friday a memo went out to all parents, introducing her as the new director. Immediately after that email, another one was sent saying that parent handbooks would be available on Monday, and if you need to refresh your memory, or need a new one, please take one. She wrote "all rules and regulations in the handbooks will be enforced again starting Monday. Please let me know if you have any questions for me."

Today one of my families, who is regularly late, came in at 10:05. I said, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear from you before nine and unfortunately Sam can't stay today. We scheduled staff according to kids and we counted him as out today."
Mom was pissed and went right over my head to the new director. The new director told her sorry, but the rules are stated very clearly in the handbook.

I know we're a service that they are paying for, you don't have to say it. They are paying, but they still have to follow policy.
If you pay for a hotel room and it's non smoking, do you get to smoke anyway because you paid for the room? No. You get penalized for that. They are paying for this center and this center has rules. If they don't like the rules, they can go elsewhere. We have a large waiting list. We'll be just fine.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM

thats very disruptive..glad new boss is following the rules..

irocksocks
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:35 PM

Thats a strange rule for a daycare, I would (semi) understand if it was a full fledged school. How do you schedule staff according to who is there that day? Do you not schedule ahead of time? 

jws120567
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:39 PM

I see where you're coming from IF your daycare is actually a school.  If it's just daycare I'd be on the parents side, but if you're actually doing schoolwork and lesson plans, then yeah.  But brava to the new director for enforcing the rules!!!

cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

why the hell is this a policy? Day care should be flexible with parent's needs if they are paying. This is not school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM

Nice. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:42 PM

So glad I didn't use daycares.  Too much attitude from babysitters pretending they are more than that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:43 PM
No it's not. We need a set time for our day to begin. We do snack and circle and creative movement all on a schedule. Its so hard for a child to come in and have to jump right into an activity or a transition. They need to come in and settle themselves in the room. Its called "first hour needs". We're trying to think of the children first. When a two year old can come into the classroom where friends are playing with toys and the teachers are on the floor, engaging in play, that makes the transition from parent to teacher, home to school, so much easier on the child.
When you have a two year old who comes in to the classroom where friends are already sitting and eating, that's where we see meltdowns at drop off because they are overwhelmed by having to come from the car and immediately have to sit and eat their snack.
Or if we're already sitting at circle. The whole circle time goes up in flames because a late arrival has disrupted the group. You cannot rally eight two year olds.
We have floating teachers. I had six kids without the late drop off. Assuming that child wasn't coming, I let the mod know that if I put one child in another classroom, I can have five alone for the day. That's a whole extra adult body that could be helping in another class.

Quoting irocksocks:

Thats a strange rule for a daycare, I would (semi) understand if it was a full fledged school. How do you schedule staff according to who is there that day? Do you not schedule ahead of time? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:45 PM
Yes it is. Thank you, me too.

Quoting quinnsmom715:

thats very disruptive..glad new boss is following the rules..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:45 PM
When they find themselves overstaffed they send some staff home.

Quoting irocksocks:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2018 at 1:45 PM
😚

Quoting Anonymous 3:

So glad I didn't use daycares.  Too much attitude from babysitters pretending they are more than that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)