Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter attempted suicide yesterday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
Ok so I know this isn't the place to post this and that I'll probably get some bitchy comments but honestly it's the only place I can post anon regarding this and I need that right now in my life.

My daughter (16 almost 17) attempted suicide yesterday by taking 20+ prescription pills. She called my mom shortly after taking them and we were able to get her to the hospital where after alot of waiting and seeing we learned there was no permanent damage. After she was medically cleared we decided with her doctor and the social worker that inpatient psychiatric treatment was the best choice to get this addressed. I spent a long night at the hospital with my daughter and she was able to get placed this morning at a facility about an hour and a half away from us. Ever since I got home I have been trying to set up outpatient care so I have a solid plan for when she is released (5 to 7 days) for followup care. It's all been very overwhelming. We have BCBS through my employee and I have been hard pressed to find a local center/doctor that even takes our insurance and the ones that do have a 6 week plus waiting time for appointments which would not be acceptable as there may be medication management involved in her after care.

The crazy thing is people always talk about warning signs for suicide. With my daughter there were no negative signs. Her grades have all gone up to A's and B's from D's and F's. She has become more active in school joining clubs and being more active in band. She has a pretty solid group of friends, not alot of friends but a pretty tight group of 5 or 6. She has been more social and less anxious and her sleep patterns have gotten more regular. She couldn't really give a reason why this happened mainly just stating that kids were being mean to her at school so I imagine there is some things going on that I was not aware of. I have a pretty close relationship with my daughter but I am not naive enough to believe she tells me everything. She does have a history of cutting and self harm so there is that but like I said she has made such positive strides I thought nothing of leaving her home alone on a day they had no school.

So now I sit here and wait. I'm waiting for the psychiatrist from the hospital to get in touch but that may not be until tomorrow I was told when I called to check in. I'm waiting to be able to call her during their call window so I can see how she's doing. And I'm waiting to hear back from doctors I have left messages with to arrange followup care although now that it's after 5 I think that will have to wait till tomorrow.

I'm feeling like a failure right npw. I failed her by not seeing this coming and I failed my son by leaving him home with her. He's 13 so fully capable of being left home for short periods of times please don't think I make her babysit or raise her siblings or anything like that. It breaks my heart that she is so far away surrounded by strangers and I can't be there for her as much as I would like. I know she is safe though so that is a small comfort.

Honestly and there's no reason not to be honest here being anon and all I am angry. Angry at myself, angry at her. Angry at how close I came to losing one of the best things in my life. Angry that she didn't come to me before it got to this point and angry that I didn't realize she didn't feel like she was able to for whatever reason. It's going to be a long road for us ahead and I know we have barely scratched the surface on what needs to be done for not only her mental health but for the whole families mental health. If you made it this far thanks for listening. It helps to write it all out.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newwifenmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:20 PM
I'm so sorry, I really hope she gets the help she needs.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:21 PM
Hugs. I’m sorry. Good luck to you guys.
Godstar
by Second Coming on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:25 PM
Hugs. We went through something similiar with our oldest, he was trying to get high and overdosed. Found him on the bathroom floor seizing, it was terrifying. He ended up in long-term rehab.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:25 PM
Thank you, me too. It all happened so fast and now that I am home I am feeling kind of lost. I've been so busy all day and now I'm just not. It's super sad knowing she's not here.

Quoting newwifenmom: I'm so sorry, I really hope she gets the help she needs.
angela.barlow
by Ange on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:26 PM
I'm so sorry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:27 PM
We never know what's going to hit us next. Lots of hugs and warm wishes for you and your family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:28 PM

I am really sorry.  This is a very scarey thing. DGS did not attempt but  told his mother that he felt like he was going to harm himself or kill himself.   He did not know what to do but he was afraid of himself.  It was awful.

She called he grandmother right away which leads me to believe that she really was not seeking death but escape from something.  It can be escape from a failed relationship or fear of the consequences of something she did or  even wanting to escape  not being "good enough"

I hope you can find out the "why" and she can work through it.

I hope that you to can find some peace.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:30 PM
I’m so sorry. Please don’t blame yourself. I hid so much from my mom at that age. Hell, I hide stuff now from people. Some things are just impossible to know even if you stalk her social media accounts all day. Please, please don’t blame yourself. I was blamed for my ex’s suicide attempt and it still bothers me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:31 PM
That's so scary! I hope he's doing better now.

This facility only does short term crisis care 5 to 7 days sometimes longer if the patient is manic or having psychosis. I never thought I was a control freak parent until all control was taken away from me.

Quoting Godstar: Hugs. We went through something similiar with our oldest, he was trying to get high and overdosed. Found him on the bathroom floor seizing, it was terrifying. He ended up in long-term rehab.
PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 7:31 PM

I"m so, so sorry.  Good luck to your family, especially your DD.  I hope she gets the mental health treatment she needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)