Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What I went through 8 years ago

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM
  • 65 Replies
7 moms liked this
My Story
So I gets lot of people thinking I am on happy pills or kinda crazy because of how positive I am.... So, I finally wrote out why! I am gonna post this on FB, because people ask me a lot about my “Coma Story” .

It is such a raw, emotional story that I decided I would post it here 1st!😊

My story starts in May 2009 when I was 8 months pregnant and started getting sick with flu like symptoms.
I went to the doc over and over and was given fluids and sent home. They did not listen to when I said my chest hurt and I was having trouble breathing. They kept saying it was a virus, and sending me home with no antibiotics or meds.

So after 2 weeks of this on Sunday May 31st-My Birthday, I was at dance pictures with my daughter Lilly who was 2 year old at the time. I had a high fever and kept having dizzy spells. So, I called my dad and told him I felt so bad I was not sure I could even stand up . (Our oldest child, Caitlin 5 years at theme, was at a friends birthday with her my husband, Jeff)

My dad and my mom came and took Lilly and drove me home. I slept all day and woke up with Leg pain and Braxton Hicks contractions. I called my OB who told me to go to get an appt with my primary care doctor in the morning. I slept through the rest of my birthday.

The next day, June 1st, I woke feeling way sicker. I made an appt with the doc, and brought the kids to my mom. (Jeff went to work- he owned his own company at this point) This time it was a new doc, and he listened to me. And actually he freaked out cus my oxygen stats were SO low. They were 65 and normal O2 is in the 90s.

He called an ambulance and sent me to the hospital. When I got to the ER, they did X-rays and found I had Acute pnemonia and ARDS-Acute Respitory Distress Syndrome. The plan was to admit me for IV antibiotics and monitoring for my baby - and me.

Jeff and my dad stayed with me until they got me settled in my room. Then my dad had to go to work and Jeff went to get the kids from my mom.

About an hour after they left I had a coughing fit and was gasping for breathe. And apparently my O2 Stats plummeted. The docs told me they were going to have to intubate me (put a breathing tube down my throat to help me breathe) and asked if I wanted to call anyone first. I called my poor husband Jeff who was shocked and confused as I was. I ended up having to give the doc the phone to explain to him what was happening, because I was having trouble understanding myself what was going on.

The anesthesiologist came in (who I knew because I had been his sons kindergarten teacher). It is funny now to remember that I was trying to laugh and joke with him, not grasping how serious things were. He tried intubating me with no anesthesia to avoid the baby getting extra meds. And let me say... it was horrible... not a fun time. They ended up needing to sedate me. Little did I know, that would be the last thing I would remember for over a month.

Everything else that happened the next 5 weeks has been told to me.

My body started shutting down due to the infection and trauma. So the docs decided they had to put me in a medically indcuced coma in the ICU, so my body could rest and heal. My mom kept my kids who had never been away from me more than one night before this.

They had no protical to having a pregnant woman with ARDS and Phnemonia, so they tried many different respirators. I have been told my stats crashed and I almst died at least 3 different times. (I have vivid near death memories of seeing the light) And while I was in the coma tests came back confirming I had the swine flu. When I was sick and going back to the doctor over and over, I had asked - actually begged the docs to test me for the swine flu and they would not, saying they did not think my symptoms matched up.

The baby thing really confused things cus they needed to get her out, but the C-section could kill me. So it was a real game of Russian Roulette with my family and husband having to made difficult decisions - one after another affecting my life and my unborn baby’s life.

Finally after 2 weeks into the coma my stats were the highest they had been and the baby starting showing signs of distress. My husband had to make the decision to put my life on the line for the baby’s. He knew that this would be my choice if he could have asked me. So, they decided to roll the dice and do the C-section.

My family was told to see me before the C-section because they were not sure I would make out alive! I was told after I had a 50/50 shot at best at making it out of the surgery alive. Jeff said they all said good bye not knowing if they would see me again!

But, God, Devine intervention or whatever it was, took care of our baby and me. And much to everyone's sursprise I made through the C-section and so did Molly. On June 19th she was born while I was still in a coma. And it turned out that her birth saved me. After she was out, they found I had 2 pneumothorax (holes in my lungs) from the I infection that was not shown up with my pregnant belly hiding them. They were able to put a chest tube in which helped my lungs heal.

Over the next 2 weeks my stats went up and down. My husband, and dad sat by my bed for days hoping for
me to heal and get to meet my baby. Then finally all the prayers and good wishes from everyone worked and the beginning of July I began to improve, and they were able to start to wean sedation and to wake me. It took me about a week to fully wake. I was confused but happy to be alive and know Molly was healthy too. I met my sweet Molly when she was 2 weeks old.

The docs call me and Molly miracles!!!! I should not have survived and they are shocked that Molly did too. I had floods of people coming in my room after I woke up crying over me and saying they had been praying for me and they were so happy I survived!

My husband was incredible!!!!!! He fought for me and the baby and never left my side and had to make so many like saving decisions on my behalf. And he even pushed the ICU nurses to pump my breast 3 times a day and gave Molly the milk. And he had them do it the whole time I was in the coma after I had Molly. And because of him, Molly exclusively breastfed until 22 months!

My story is still unbelievable to me sometimes. And although it has a happy ending now, with me now having
my dream job as a teacher and 3 wonderful kids. It has taken 8 years to get here.

When I woke I had lost the ability to do everything. I had to relearn to walk, talk, read and write. My IQ was in the 70 range. I had to stay with my mom while Jeff was at work because I could not care for myself or my kids. It took intensive therapy and lots of hard work to fight and my way back. Jeff’s business ultimately fell apart due to the the time he needed to devote to me. And I had to leave my job I loved as an autism therapist and supervisor because it was too much for me. We had so
many medical bills piled up before I even got of the hospital. We went from living comfortably as a middle class family with 2 incomes to struggling to pay bills and put food on the table.

But, we did it. We fought and clawed our way back and together as a family put the pieces back together. Jeff has a successful business he runs from home and now I am a public school teacher at Molly s school.

The best thing that happened through it all of this was that we learned that money, and social status mean nothing. Nothing! They mean nothing! People think they do... but they do not! We learned to value life, and we learned that life of precious. So we appreciate life in a way that I can not even explain...in a way that no one could understand without living through something like this. So when times get tough, we remind ourselves that “We are all here together and that is all that matter!” 💕💕💕 And that is why people often look at me and my happy, positive attitude and probably think I am a little weird lol And I am sure my positivity annoys people sometime! But when you cheat death and so does your sweet baby.....you appreciate everything! Every day is positive -even the bad days -cus I am alive and here to enjoy life! And I am determined to never loose sight of that! 💕💕💕

Thanks for the along the time to read this!

*before and after pics on replies on page 5

by on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Tltr
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this
I read it all. Congratulations and then some! I'm very glad you and your baby are safe 😊
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Incredible story! Definitely a miracle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Not really, you just have a short attention span and/or reading difficulties.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Tltr

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

this reminds me of something that happened to me . My dh had colon cancer and he was in and out of the hospital with abscesses and infections, picc lines and feeding tubes . At one point they said that they needed to do exploratory surgery and they said if he didnt he would die if he did 10% chance he'd live. I told them do it. went to the chapel and prayed. (first time id been in a Church / chapel in over 10 years. I'm not a religious person but i believe go heard me. He woke up dr said they found the leak in his colon. and sewed it up. I live everyday to its fullest thanking god my dh is here.

conweis
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Amazing story!
JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats.

Praise God.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I don’t have a short attention span, it was just monotonous. She could’ve given all the info a lot more succinctly.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Not really, you just have a short attention span and/or reading difficulties.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Tltr

Fat.Bottom.Girl
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2018 at 10:56 AM
I remember a mom on here years ago talking about being pregnant and in a coma with swine flu. Was that you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2018 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I read it all.
I'm happy you pulled through that. Congrats to you and all your hard work and family. That is truly amazing!!! 💕
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)