Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Sue for Dog Bite?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 223 Replies

I was jogging down the sidewalk two days ago, when I saw a man with a dog. I jogged over to the right, to avoid being in the dog's path. I didn't move over far enough because the dog leaped out and bit me on the thigh. I spent 3 hours in the ER, receiving x-rays, three views (no fractures), a tetanus shot, antibiotics, and wound cleaning and dressing (no stitches). I have two puncture wounds and one claw mark. I was bleeding for 3 hours (not gushing blood, but rather running out of the gashes).The dog was on a leash and broke out of the muzzle. The owner tackled him. There are 2 puncture wounds and a long claw mark on my thigh.

It was a 70-pound german shepherd/black lab/pit bull, 3.5 years old, female. She was adopted from a shelter.
The owner told me this was the dog's second offense. He was at least very nice. I got all the paperwork regarding the dog. She is vaccinated against rabies and that shot is up to date. I am collecting my paperwork regarding my bills. For a couple days, the pain was very bad, and the wounds still bleed a little when I walk. I have a follow-up doctor appointment tomorrow. The wound is healing well & I am bruising.

Would you sue or try to get the owner to pay for the medical bills? I do have good insurance. For example, an ER visit is $35.

Some people say I should definitely sue, others say no. If I need a lawyer, obviously, that is going to cost a lot. I didn't lose much time from work because I work at home. Yes, it was traumatizing to have a dog's mouth clamped on my thigh like a steel vice. It still hurts today and I've been feeling sick from tetanus shot side effects.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aolekeia
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Did you talk to the pet owner?  He wasn’t that nice if he didn’t offer to cover your cost.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM
13 moms liked this
I would try to work it out with the guy first, I don’t jump to suing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:09 PM
5 moms liked this
For me, if I were in your situation, no. The dog was on a leash and had a muzzle and the owner tackled her. Ask for medical bills to be paid.
However, if the dog wasn't on a leash and had no muzzle and the owner did nothing, I would sue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Good point. I have his name and phone number. He said he was sorry. Did not offer to pay bills. I am getting them together to get to him. I don't have a receipt for the ER bill yet, it's in the mail.

Quoting luckysevenwow: I would try to work it out with the guy first, I don’t jump to suing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would but I work for lawyers. That way if it happens again the dog will be put down. Well that can happen without you suing but still, I would try. That's how it works where I live, not sure about your city. 

Shadylady33
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:10 PM

It depends on the dog.  How is he treating you?  Is he offering to help with the medical bills?  I would suggest that the own take the dog to a training class.  I guess it is ultimately up to you.  As a dog lover that has been bitten before it is a hard choice.  Good luck with that. 

krisnkids
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't. My insurance would cover my medical bills. I'd live. Traumatizing? Yeah, I've seen a lot worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:12 PM

He's not been in touch with me since I was in the ER. He offered nothing. He said the shelter warned him the dog "might have problems adjusting." The dog previously bit his friend but the friend did not report it. So, he knew the animal was potentially dangerous, hence the muzzle. But how does a dog even break out of a muzzle?

Quoting Shadylady33:

It depends on the dog.  How is he treating you?  Is he offering to help with the medical bills?  I would suggest that the own take the dog to a training class.  I guess it is ultimately up to you.  As a dog lover that has been bitten before it is a hard choice.  Good luck with that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Yes, it could have been far worse. It could have been my daughter, too! I would have been crazy with rage if it were her.

Quoting krisnkids:

I wouldn't. My insurance would cover my medical bills. I'd live. Traumatizing? Yeah, I've seen a lot worse.

spookly
by >:(  on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM

I wouldn't if it was less than $100. If it was more in cost I definitely would.
Also if the dog was a habitual attacker and the man didn't resort at all to try and stop his dog, then I most definitely would regardless of cost! (To try and teach the man a lesson) 
But since it didn't resort to any of that, I really wouldn't bother. 

Glad you are okay, so sorry to hear you were hurt. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)