Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you ever do this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 90 Replies
Today, at work, a family of 4 was seated in my section. There was a mom and dad, plus their son and daughter. Son was about 8ish, daughter seemed to be a younger teen. No joke, the parents each ordered nice, full meals (Dad even added lobster), yet made the children share an appetizer.

You could visibly see the daughters animosity. I wanted to throttle the dad by the end. He tried to play it off, saying the kids weren't very hungry and decided not to eat...yet made a comment about "their dinner" when I brought the appetizer. I'll be damned if they didn't clean the plate...not hungry my ass.

At the end, he asked the kids if they wanted dessert. When the boy started saying "can we get...," instead of an instant no, dad asked me to give them a minute to discuss it. I came back to a sad little boy telling me he didn't want any dessert.

I've dealt with some ridiculousness, but this guy made me feel defensive for his own kids. They seemed like good kids too.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
That's just horrible. I would've been tempted to bring them some more free food.
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:14 AM
Idk how I would keep my mouth shut. That’s messed up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd make a call to CPS and tell them that the parents were witholding food. If they're doing this in a restaurant, it's got to be worse at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:16 AM
Just do your job.

Apparently they aren't homeless orphans. You don't know what the situation was. Dad might have been trying to teach a lesson about appreciation of money.

I bet you got tipped. Move on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:17 AM
Are you serious?

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I'd make a call to CPS and tell them that the parents were witholding food. If they're doing this in a restaurant, it's got to be worse at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:18 AM
Were the kids overweight?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:20 AM
Meh, they know their kids better than you. It's entirely possible they know how much food their own kids eat better than the judgy server who's mad because they didn't spend as much as shed have liked.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:20 AM
It's not worth my job, but yeah, I spent the whole hour trying to find a way to accidentally feed them. It was so glaringly obvious the kids were just saying what they were told to say. The girls attitude made me think this was normal for them.

Quoting Anonymous 2: That's just horrible. I would've been tempted to bring them some more free food.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:20 AM

as a heart attack

Quoting Anonymous 4: Are you serious?
Quoting Anonymous 3:

MrsViau
by PinkGiraffe on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:20 AM
Really? And tell them what exactly? That some strangers came into the restaurant and didn’t feed their kids? Don’t know their names or any other info but that they should look into it right away. 🙄🙄

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)