Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can they legally do this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 122 Replies
2 moms liked this
Found this taped to my car window this morning. We had recently mentioned that we wanted to move to my landlord.
This is what I found WEIRD about the notice. I'm going to mention everything weird but can they legally make these demands?

1. It's dated 2/1 but I barely got it today. Weird.

2. They want the doors replaced. The doors have NEVER worked. They don't close and don't lock. The reason is because the landlord fit them wrong. To me it sounds like he wants new doors. But, I thought it was a requirement from the landlord to have all doors and windows in working order.

3.Linoleum to be replaced? Isn't that wear and tear? We've been here over 6 years. It's not damaged, just small cracks in a few squares. (It was built probably early 1900s).

4. This is what blows my mind. They want me to leave the washer I bought. When I moved in, there was a washer left from a previous tenant because they didn't want to take it when they moved. (Just to be extra clear, the landlord did not buy the washer). Shortly after moving in it broke and I bought a new one. At no time did he say I had to leave the one I bought.

5.I bought a huge window a.c. unit because the place only had a swamp cooler. I told him when he put it in not to throw away the old swamp cooler because when I leave I'm not leaving the window a.c. Now he wants me to leave it.

6.Last, we stopped making repair requests because they never got done and he's confrontational.

6.THEY SAY REPAIRS ARE TENANTS RESPONSIBILITY!?

We're not leaving the place a dump when we do move out. We're cleaning the carpets doing paint touch ups. The usual stuff.

***ETA There was no security deposit. He just moved us in. Which is why we will be cleaning the carpets and doing paint touch ups. We're not trying to screw him.

*There is no lease. It's month to month. There was no deposit, he just moved us in.

*****ETA 7:15 pm

My landlord called me at 2:00 p.m. and told me that the electricity would be turned off at 5 p.m. (It has always been in his name).He told me that he turned it off because he no longer wants it in his name; and if I wanted to have electricity, I need to call and work it out with the electric company. I called them and was able to continue service without interruption. But what if I didn't have the money to turn it on? Hypothetically speaking.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:25 AM
4 moms liked this
He's just making a case for your security deposit. I would send a response letter, detailing everything you just wrote here and mail it to him or take it to the office.
MysticLove
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:27 AM
5 moms liked this

I would contact a lawyer about it. Every state has different laws about this kind of stuff. My last landlord did some of this, we replaced things and told him to keep the old ones and they didn't and told us we had to either leave ours or replace it or they would come after us. I told him good luck because I kept copys of everything during my stay there and that included work orders for the broken stuff we replaced and our receipts. As for the doors, did you do a walk through inspection when you moved in? Were these noted?

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:27 AM
Usually landlords will keep the security deposit and fix the issues themselves. He can't make you leave the washer or AC behind since you bought it yourself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:28 AM
There was never a security deposit. He just moved me in. Hence, is the reason why we are cleaning the carpets and painting. I'm not trying to "burn" him.

Quoting WickedOpal: He's just making a case for your security deposit. I would send a response letter, detailing everything you just wrote here and mail it to him or take it to the office.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM

Yeah. Don't expect your security deposit back. I wouldn't pay any extra though. I'm amazed at how unprofessional they are, wow. 

momto2boys3215
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM
I would keep that, pull your copy of all the lease you have signed.
Just know you won't get your deposit back. Even if you did everything demanded & more, he would stop find something & keep it.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM
Was there a lease?

Quoting Anonymous 1: There was never a security deposit. He just moved me in. Hence, is the reason why we are cleaning the carpets and painting. I'm not trying to "burn" him.

Quoting WickedOpal: He's just making a case for your security deposit. I would send a response letter, detailing everything you just wrote here and mail it to him or take it to the office.
HHx5
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM
What about your oringinal lease? Is there anything about repairs in your lease?
AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:30 AM
He is going to keep your security deposit. That’s all.
crimson417
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Send him an answer letter with the things you wrote here. If you have them put copies of the receipts for items you purchased. The date thing isn't that alarming because it says right on there you were given a copy the 22nd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)